Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

I woke up in a hospital room, though my mind was blurred and it wasn't until I saw the other patients in the room that I actually realized where I was.

"Aw geez," I muttered, pushing myself up on my elbows, trying to get up. A searing pain shot through my arm, and I winced, biting my lip when I tried not to scream and wake the others in the room, all of whom were sleeping. My legs felt like jelly and my head felt like it had been hit by a truck, or at least a very, very large car.

When I was finally making progress getting down from the bed, a nurse entered the room. She was plump, and seemed like the motherly type. Her greying curls were pinned back, and on top of them perched a little white hat. When she saw my pathetic attempt to get up, she rushed to my side.

"No, you have to lie down! You haven't fully recovered yet," she said, helping me back to my bed. My head was still throbbing, and I got the feeling my vision wasn't all the best since everything was a little blurred at the edges. Then again, my contacts had fallen out.

"What happened?" I groaned, realizing my voice was very rough and hoarse. "Could I get a glass of water?"

She smiled and went out to get me one. When she came back, she adjusted my sheets around me, picking at stray threads, like a mother hen, then handed me the glass.

"Comfortable?" she asked. I nodded, smiling at her. She seemed nice enough.

"What happened?" I repeated my earlier question.

"A man called an ambulance two days ago. He had been traveling, and heard you groaning in the forest. From what I hear, you were surrounded by a very large pool of blood and you're lucky you're still alive. You were rushed here, and operated on. Your ankle is sprained, so you'll be on crutches for a while. The cut on your arm was deep, and needed stitches though. You'll be completely fine, dearie don't worry."

She smiled at me then, a wide smile that showed the dimples in her plump brown cheeks.

"Now darling," she said, frowning slightly. "I know this is short notice, but the doctors insist you're fine and all that jazz..." She trailed off, muttering something to herself. I raised a pale eyebrow at her, but winced when the drums in my head started up again.

She noticed my pain and looked at me with worry.

"Are you okay sugar? Should I call in the doctor?" I shook my head, smiling to reassure her.

"What were you saying before you got distracted?" I asked, trying to change the topic.

"Ah yes!" she exclaimed. "The doctors insist that we do something about your file; they said we should fill it with at least your name and age, so we have some information about you. I said we should wait a while, but no..." Here she trailed off, muttering something about amnesia, but I wasn't paying enough attention to actually make it out.

A wave of nausea rolled over me, and I covered my mouth in an attempt to stop myself from puking all over the crisp, white sheets that I was covered with.

"I shouldn't have brought that up," said the nurse, as she handed me a bowl, conveniently placed near the bed. I vomited into said container, scrunching my nose at the brown globs that floated in the liquid.

"Ew," I said. The nurse laughed.

"Yes, vomit generally induces such reactions. Back to the matter at hand though sugar, I really do need your name and age for the file."

My name, my name, my name... Everything was still fuzzy, I couldn't think clearly as a result of my headache. My name... As I racked my brain, trying to remember, it seemed that everything hit me full force. I paled as I remembered the chase, the truck driver, Ryan, my father.