Chapter 5|He's Become A Stranger

Fairy Alien Queen, my ass.

There's only one person who would dare call me that and his name starts with 'B' and ends with 'eck'.

Okay so, when we were around 4 or maybe 5 we had this costume party for Meredith's birthday and well... I wanted to be unique and out-of-this-world. No pun intended. Kinda.

Anyway, I decided to wear my princess dress and pair it with my fairy wings and my brothers alien mask. If you think that's weird, I also walked around with my finger pointed like E.T.

I did the voice too.

The fact that Beck would even remind me about that horrific event is just utterly embarrassing. Hmph. Rude.

I breathe deep and try to convince myself it isn't a big deal because let's be real, it isn't. I just overreact a lot when it comes to Beckinsale Carter.

That boy will be the death of me. I'm just glad I'm going away for college after we graduate next year.

As I walk back into the cafeteria I spot some unexpected and unwelcome guests at our table.

"Lainey, please tell your brother to quit his hopeless antics of ruining my life" says Eleanor as she clearly struggles getting away from my brother's behaviour.

"Eris, go away. Stop harassing my friends" I say as I take my seat, unfortunately someone had thought it right to take my food so, I was left with a few pieces of fruit from my salad and half my sandwich.

Ugh. Boys.

"What? No way. I would never harass your friends, dear twin sister. I was hoping for nothing but, mature conversation" he places a hand to his heart as if he's insulted and I resist the urge to roll my eyes.

I do that a lot.

I wonder why, though, the reason they're seated here in the first place. They don't sit with us. Usually, they're seated two rows away with the rest of the soccer team. While, Lillian Sawyer and her airheads sat at the table next to them.

Lillian Sawyer is Beck's cousin. Shocking? Probably.

Yes, he is protective of her and yes, she is a monster...

I don't know where I was going with that, to be honest.

"Why are you here?" I question as I cross my arms. They look to one another and back to me as if to say I'm joking right? "I'm not kidding, why are you sitting with us, you never do. You're usually at your little sorority table"

Beck laughs wholeheartedly and I can't tell if it's genuine or sarcastic. Either way, it doesn't matter. My lunch is gone and I'm hungry.

"Well, Laine I figure you got my message so, I wanted to touch base with you girls and make sure you were all attending" he smiles.

He probably thinks he has an effect on me but, he couldn't be more wrong. If anything I find him to be so, up his ass that he probably thinks he can persuade anyone to do anything.

Well, no. Not me. Not this ti-

"Of course, we are. We even persuaded Elaine to come along although it didn't take much which leads me to believe she was already interested" I'm interrupted by Eleanor blabbing on about how she and Mere had apparently 'persuaded' me.

"That is so not even true. I'm only going because I don't want you two to do anything you'll regret. I have the honorable duty of protecting my friends from you and your fairies"

He laughs yet again and I'm forced to believe he's got some kind of robotically programmed laugh that's malfunctioning.

I don't think that made sense.

"Well, Laine whatever the reason, I'm glad you've decided to come along" he stands up with his tray of food, "see you ladies soon" and he leaves with his friends.

My brother stares at me for what seems like forever.

"Can I help you, Eris?" I ask and be smiles lightly, getting up to catch up with his friends.

Weird.

-

It's been three days since that weird interaction with Beck and I don't know why but, the look my brother gave me told me that whatever he thinks he knows, isn't good.

For me.

I also feel weird because Mere and Leanor are having me try on clothes. "Cher yourself" they said.

Cher myself? Doesn't she mean Madonna?

"It'll be so much fun" they said.

In case you haven't gathered, I am not into all the stereotypical girly stuff.

In between squeezing into a wine red silk dress and last year's baggy jeans and my brother laughing his brains out at me. I am officially done.

"That's it, I'm not going, bye have fun"

Mere and Leanor share a look as I collapse onto my bed, "look Laine, we just need to..." she pauses as she tries to think for a reply.

I sigh loudly as they both jump to their feet and scream, "let's go shopping"

I groan louder and my phone pings, signalling a text. I reach for it as I read; Elaine, your brother should be home tomorrow evening, would you mind heading to the store to pick up our grocery order, Thank you.

Sigh.

"Okay, let's go" as I reach my door, I see my brother leaning against the wall. He must have seen my expression because he says, "you got a text from Mom, she doesn't know I'm already here"

"Why?" I ask.

"Because there's just a lot she doesn't know and I'd like to keep it that way," I was about to ask but, he cuts me off, "and you don't need to worry about it either, El. Okay?"

"Okay" I nod as he descends back to his room and I stare at his closed door for a second as I try to think about what my brother could possibly be hiding.

He's my twin brother but, I just feel like I know hardly anything about him.

He's become a stranger.

.。*♡✧*。