Benardete's Paradox

INT. ALEX'S STUDY - NIGHT

We see a dimly lit, decent-sized room with almost no furniture. Bare cemented walls, wood-paneled floor, and visible air vents in the ceiling give the impression of a contemporary, industrial minimalist design.

ALEX (28, dark brown-haired) sits in the middle of the room facing his computer screen. His fingers move fast while the rest of his body appears still.

He types continuously and aggressively, with his back resting flat on the chair's backrest.

Alex's eyes repeatedly move quickly from left to right as his typing continues.

Typing stops. Alex blinks a couple of times. He pulls his head back into a more relaxed position before he fixes his writing glasses.

ALEX (very quietly) You still got it. Couldn't have written that one better.

He reaches for his phone resting on the far end side of the table and checks his email.

ALEX Still no response? Is Director NGO that busy?

Alex curls his eyebrows in a thinking manner. He takes his glasses off and bites the temple tip.

Alex pauses for a couple of seconds before standing up and proceeding to walk. We hear a phone buzzing sound. Alex stops.

We see PRISCILLA's contact details on the phone screen.

Alex answers the call and puts the phone on his ear.

ALEX Hey, mom. Do you need anything?

PRISCILLA (V.O.) What are you saying, Alex? Isn't tonight our family dinner? We're on our way there.

Alex firmly closes his eyes and slowly hits his forehead with his palm.

CUT TO:

INT. HAROLD'S CAR - NIGHT

PRISCILLA (52, chubby with curly light brown grayish hair) sits on the passenger seat while HAROLD (58, black grayish hair, glasses) drives.

PRISCILLA Don't tell me you forgot. Anyway, I brought some dishes I prepared at the house. I'll cook the remaining dishes when we get there, okay?

BACK TO:

INT. ALEX'S STUDY - NIGHT

We can observe a worried, surprised face. Alex runs to the door carelessly.

PRISCILLA (V.O.) Alex? Are you still there? Is it okay to cook the remaining dishes at your place?

CUT TO:

INT. KITCHEN (ALEX'S HOUSE) - NIGHT

The kitchen boasts the same minimalist design with a combination of subtle colors and black accents. The walls and cabinets are painted in a modern color palette.

Alex emerges behind the wall that divides the kitchen and the stairwell leading to the basement study.

He reaches the sink and scrambles at the pile of used kitchenware.

ALEX Ahh...Okay, okay. Look, mom, someone's calling...I need to go. Get here safe, okay?

CUT TO:

INT. HAROLD'S CAR - NIGHT

Priscilla slightly pulls her ear from her phone as she hears the metal scrambling. She throws a smile and a curled eyebrow.

Priscilla looks at Harold who holds a face of disappointment. The husband shakes his head and looks back at the road.

ALEX (V.O.) I'm dropping the call, okay? Bye–