chapter three.

mentions of abuse

ISLA TRIED HER BEST TO get some rest, despite Lydia and Henry talking for the rest of the night. Henry tried to ask her some questions about herself, but only received dull and brief answers.

Why does he need to know who she is? She doesn't know him, and she never will. Unlike Lydia who was sharing all her secrets with her dad and other things that Isla ignored whilst trying to get to sleep.

Although, by the time Isla woke up Henry wasn't talking. In fact, he wasn't there at all. Luckily Lydia was asleep too, but quickly woke up to the sound of heavy and familiar footsteps getting closer to their cell.

Daryl walked into view again and decided to sit down opposite them. Lydia got up from her laid down position and cowered to the wall again.

Isla scoffed and she saw his relaxed expression. "Here to try and drag me away again? Or are your nerves gonna get the best of you again?"

Daryl put his hand into his pocket and pulled out some pills, shaking them. "It's for your ear." He looked at Lydia. "You're pulling on it like it hurts."

Isla shot her head to Lydia who was covering her ear, furrowing her brows. "You didn't say anything." She whispered.

"Didn't want you to worry."

Daryl put them back in his pocket since Lydia didn't speak to him. He looked at the floor as he appeared to be thinking.

"Two of ours went missing. We found their horses, though. Half-skinned, half-eaten. Y'all know anything about that?" He asked but thankfully he was much calmer this time.

Isla scoffed as Lydia replied, "How could we? We've been here."

"What would your parents do if she crossed some of our people? Would they kill them?"

"It depends. My dad isn't the nicest person, runs in the family I guess." Isla sarcastically smiled at him before looking at the wall in front of her, which happened to be more interesting than the conversation.

"My mom would if she had to..."

Lydia explained stuff about her dad, leading onto the topic of the song her dad used to sing to her. She told Isla the things about him, what she could remember but it seemed to be a sensitive topic if Isla tried to go into extra detail.

"He used to sing that to me..." Lydia trailed off.

"How old were you?" Daryl asked.

"Five. Six. Who knows?" She replied, tugging on her ear which was almost a habit now.

"What about you?" Daryl asked Isla, who turned her head to him.

"Huh?"

"You got a story?"

"My family isn't noting special." Isla replied, picking her nails momentarily. "My mom got bit, dad had to kill her, that's it."

Daryl let out a short sigh, "Your parents did what they had to do." Lydia again kept tugging on her ear, so Daryl whistled at her and chucked the bottle of pills to her which she gladly took.

"Doesn't have to be like that though. There's a lot of good people here. They'll help you both if you help them." Daryl explained.

"You mean the people up their who wants to 'string us up'?" Isla asked, quoting what she remembered from the previous night, she chuckled quietly but started to cough. She forgot how dehydrated she was.

"Could we have some water?" Lydia asked, noticing her friend's struggle.

Daryl agreed, standing up and leaving to collect some water in a large spoon which was the only thing available. Lydia nodded at Isla to come up with her, but Isla could see the sly look in Lydia's eye which meant she was up to no good.