Chapter 9: He'd be proud it was you

"Steven... You did it Steven..."

"I did it" said the young blond out of breath as he exited the capsule with the help of Dr. Erskine and Mr. Stark.

"Yeah. I think we did it too" said the Doctor with a smile looking at Howard Stark.

"We actually did it" adds Howard at his turn.

Everyone in the booth, including Colonel Phillips, comes out to see Steven Rogers and congratulate the Doctor on the achievement. Agent Carter walks down the stairs then walks quickly to join the new Steve.

"H-how do you feel?" she said as her eyes drift down Steve's body couple of time.

"Taller" Steve replies catching his breath as a lab tech hands Carter a much larger shirt to later give to Steve.

"Yeah, you look taller" she nods giving him the shirt as her eyes don't stop to drift down his body.

Everyone who was in the booth is close to the Doctor to congratulate him, except for one who remains near the stairs, looking around suspiciously. Then this person notices that there is only one micro injection left to keep the formula of the serum in case of making other super-soldiers... After several handshakes, Erskine notices the suspicious man then begins to wonder what he wants to do. The suspect takes a lighter from his pocket, opens it and then lights it, which produces an explosion in the booth. Everyone protects themselves by crouching then put their backs to the explosion to protect themselves from the shards of glass. The suspicious man approaches the last formula then takes it in his hand.

"Stop him!" shouts Erskine.

The man turns to the Doctor taking out a gun from his jacket then shoots once.. and twice.. in the heart of Doctor Erskine who falls to the ground.

 The murderer flees by taking the stairs and he is shot in the shoulder by Agent Carter, but despite that, he managed to escape... Carter decides to pursue him.

Steve rushes to Erskine to find out how he is, even though he knows it's over for him... Erskine is lying on his back with his chest bleeding, seeing Steve very worried, kneeling beside him. Erskine uses all his remaining energy to tap Steve's chest with his finger once, then twice, as if pointing. As if to tell him that he is the last hope of war... Doctor Erskine rests his hand on the ground, then closes his eyes to fall sadly in an eternal sleep... Steve feels an anger inside him that he never had before, then decides to run outside to find out why this man killed Dr. Erskine and stole the formula, THE formula. 

During this time, the murderer managed to get into a car with a driver before leaving. Agent Carter comes out at that moment and stands in the middle of the street aiming the car with her gun. She takes her time and after a few seconds she shoots the driver in the head in about thirty meters maybe more. The car does an accident on the opposite direction of the road, which blocks traffic. A person gets out of his car to see if everything is fine but the murderer gets out of the car to steal the other's. Then he accelerates without paying attention, in the direction of Agent Carter to knock her down. Rogers arrives at the right time and rushes Carter to push her off the road to save her. The murderer continues on his way to flee.

"I had him!" She shouts as she gets up.

"Sorry!" He shouts running after the car.

Steven notices that he is running much too fast for someone like him but he continues to run, barefoot, through the streets of Brooklyn. He takes shortcuts by jumping over barriers and even large fences. After a few minutes of racing that didn't even get Steve out of breath, he managed to reach the killer's car. He jumps into the back of a newspaper truck for height before jumping onto the roof of the murderer's car. The man turns sharply left then right continuously in an attempt to knock down the super soldier who is on his roof as he approaches the docs. He loses control of the car and has an accident. The car skids to the side and begins to roll, which throws Steve violently onto the vehicles parked on the side. The murderer gets out of the car a little hurt then flees on foot towards the docs while Steve follows him after getting back up. The murderer pulls out his lighter, opens it, then presses a button which causes a one-seater submarine to rise to the surface. He goes inside the submarine then starts it before going underwater. Steve arrives close to the water when he sees the submarine. When the submarine dives into the water, Steve does the same. He manages to catch up with the submarine, grabs a fin and punches the window before opening it to get the murderer out of the submarine.

Arriving at the surface of the water, Rogers throws the man on the ground violently, then joins him coming out of the water. The man tries to stab him but Steve dodges before giving him a knee in the face which makes the knife drop, then the man is on the ground. The super-soldier serum was in his hand too and broke when he let go of it due to the hit. The serum no longer exists... as much as its inventor, Dr. Abraham Erskine. Steve approaches the man grabbing him by the collar of his shirt.

"Who the hell are you?!" asks firmly Steven looking at him straight in the eyes.

"The first of many. Cut off one head, ..." he put something inside his mouth, poison "... two more shall take its place. Hail Hydra" he adds before dying following his poisoning.

Steven lets go then straightens up. Agent Carter arrived at the scene with security agents.

"Are you okay?" she asks approaching him.

Steve nods looking around "Yes I- I'm okay. Are you alright?"

"Yeah" she nods before looking at the dead man on the ground "Who is he?" she asks looking back at Steve.

"I don't know, but you have to take a look at this" he says looking at his left on the water.

She looks in the direction of his gaze seeing a submarine.

"We'll take it on board, Howard will take care of it" she says nodding at her guards so that they stay put to take the submarine on board "Follow me Steve" she says while Steve follows her by her side.

Carter notices blood on Steve's shirt.

"Are you hurt? If yes you have to tell me" she says as they arrive in a car with a driver.

"I got thrown off the roof of the car and flew over cars that were on the side, that's all I'm fine" he said as he got into the car in the back seat with Carter.

The car starts in the direction to the laboratory of Howard Stark which is not far from Erskine's.

"We'll clean your wounds, and you're gonna get you clean too" she says without being unpleasant, fixing her hair as Rogers nods.

Steve calms down and try to relax for couple of minute. Dr. Erskine was the only person who believed in him, like Bucky did... but how is he now? That is the question that runs in his head.

"Any hope of reproducing the program is locked in your genetic code. But with Dr. Erskine, it would take years" she says looking at him a bit sad.

"He deserved more than this..." he says looking out his window as she looks down.

"If it could work only once, he'd be proud it was you..." says Carter.

Steve looks at her as she looks at him with a slight smile...