two

Regulus watches with thinly veiled curiosity as Lovelock dons a face mask - one that covers both her nose and mouth - before approaching the gentleman. The young man looks awful, his face pale, and his brow sweat-drenched. His trembling body is wracked with fits of bloody coughing, throat choking on full flower heads and thorns.

She quietly sits herself on the edge of the man's hospital bed, glancing around. Regulus follows her gaze to the white wallpaper. There's a deep sadness in her gaze - a kind he's seen before... But where? Regulus can't seem to recall.

"Hm." She says at last. "I've always hated hospitals."

The young man wheezes, shakily sitting up.

"You must—" he's interrupted by a fit of coughing and a mouthful of petals, "—you must be Mr. Black and Miss Lovelock."

How gruesome, Regulus inhales, smelling the sweetness of hyacinth as he offers the man a nearby glass of water.

"Black," the masked Flora says sharply at his sudden increase in proximity with the patient.

He quirks a brow at her expression. Then, stares at her mask in silent judgement.

"I'm not wearing this be—oh, never mind." She turns away from him, facing the patient. "Your name, sir?"

"Quint Turner," the man offers with a small smile. "I heard that a young girl wanted to try curing me—" another fit of coughing — "Well, doc? What's the prognosis?"

Muggleborn, then, Regulus notes with careful neutrality. Doctor is a muggle term.

"All in due time, Mr. Turner." Flora says with a gentleness Regulus has never seen before. "Let's talk first."

"T-talk?" Quint rasps.

"Talk?" Regulus echoes, confused.

"Yes," Flora affirms with a teasing lilt. "Tell me about her."

Quint's eyes widen.

"What do you love about her?" Flora asks. "Is it her smile? Her laugh? The way she looks at you?"

Regulus makes a face.

"—If you're willing to share," Flora leans back, "will you tell me your story? I want to know everything."

"Flora," Regulus tugs on her sleeve, "what are you doing?"

She, as usual, ignores him.

"I," Quint swallows, "have never been asked such a thing before, Miss Lovelock."

"I'm asking."

Regulus watches the interaction with a confused furrow in his brow. What is she trying to do?

"You want to hear my story?"

"I do." Flora confirms.

"Then I'll tell you." Quint says. "I'll tell you things I've never told anyone before."

Lovelock sits up, attentive.

"She was my friend first," Quint begins as his eyes glaze with memory.

"But she loved another, didn't she?"

"A wonderful man." Quint says immediately. "Another of my closest friends - I couldn't find it in myself to resent them because... in a different way, I loved him too. If she was my first friend, he was my second and my closest confidant. They got married last year.

"I... was alone before meeting them. We made each other happy. I don't want that to change." He trails off. "I feel they would be miserable if they knew of my feelings. They would feel... guilty."