Puppy Love

warnings >< nothing
word count >< 724

You first met Camilo Madrigal when you were four. Your parents had recently signed you up for piano lessons taught by Agustín. You saw the curly hair around a corner but once he knew he had been spotted, he ran. The boy peaked your curiosity.

You can face to face with him a year later. He had just gotten his gift. Shapeshifting. Agustín noticed his interest in watching your fingers move from key to key, creating a melody.

When you both were 12, everyone in the village knew that you were best friends. If someone saw Camilo, they knew you were just a couple feet away. You guys were caught constantly playing pranks on everyone, sharing food and dancing together.

Everyone also knew about Camilo’s puppy crush on you. His family teased him constantly. You could often find making comments like “When’s the wedding?” “Y/N Madrigal sounds nice doesn’t it.”

So it was a complete surprise when Camilo mentioned casually that he was dating someone when Isabela decided to tease him. The dining room became silent except for Camilo’s silverware scraping the plate.

Then all hell broke lose. Shouts were heard everywhere. Lots of comments being thrown towards him asking who, when, how and what about you . Alma silenced everyone once she had gotten over the surprising comment.

The dinner continued with silence. Everyone pondering over the fact someone liked Camilo and that he accepted when he had been in love with you for years.

Pepa broke the silence by asking her oldest son to bring his lover over so they could meet everyone. Camilo hesitated in accepting but when he remembered how everyone practically loved you, when ever you came over for piano lessons, he though that nothing could go wrong.

The day came faster than Camilo wanted. He wanted you to himself for a little longer. But nonetheless he pushed through his chores with thoughts of you.

The family set up a little area outside. It had a nice view of the mountains and the houses. Midway through setting the table, the door knocked. Everyone pause what they were doing and glanced at each other.

Then the arguing started about who was going to answer the door. Not noticing Agustín had snuck away to answer the door.

Checking behind him for the family and seeing nothing, he opened the door. Glancing down to see the mysterious lover of Camilo’s. He didn’t know what he expected but it wasn’t his piano student.

His jaw dropped at the fact Camilo managed to woo the person he was in love with. He barely heard them even acknowledge him.

“Careful sir! You wouldn’t want to catch flies! I’m sorry I didn’t help with the food, Camilo asked me to come later..” Your voice broke him out of his thoughts. He closed him mouth and moved out of the way for you. Then only noticing the yellow fabric that matched Camilo’s.

He quickly brought you to the patio where everyone was still arguing and Camilo was watching, stiflingly his laughs.

“Milo!” The nickname reserved just for you made him whip his head toward the entrance. His eyes lit up at the sight of you in his color. He said your name loudly back before running off to hug you.

Neither of you noticed the others staring at you in confusion. They just stared and didn’t stop once you broke the hug and looked over.

“Hello!’’ Other people would have been shaking at the thoughts of meeting their significant others parent but you seemed laid back. Camilo just figured it was because of the fact you already knew them.

You sat by Camilo and laid your head on his shoulder while the family just stared at you guys.

“You’re dating your best friend?!” Pepa spoke. Camilo’s smug smile appeared on his face while wrapping an arm around your shoulder.

“Yeah.” The smugness in his voice was noticeable. Everyone sat down and ate in silence. Not being able to process that Camilo managed to confess to his best friend he harbored feelings for. Everyone watched as you and Camilo fed each other and put more food on each other’s plates.

Alma ate with a small smile. That’s what Pedro did with her when they were dating. When her and her love for him was just some puppy love.