Chapter 25

After spending the night together, Eris was riding a high. She was excited for the feast that night and couldn't wait to sit at Ivar's side as his woman. She was on her way to their shared chambers when she saw Ivar talking with a blonde slave girl. They needed a sacrifice to offer to the gods pending their inevitable fight against the Saxons and Eris' 'family'. 

"I will do anything you ask me to do" The slave slowly removed her dress and it fell to the ground.

Eris was taken off guard and hid behind a pillar, not yet being seen. She pulled her dagger from her skirts and gripped it tightly. 

"What are you doing?" Ivar asked softly, taking in the form of the pretty little slave.

"I know you're a cripple, Boneless. But let me tell you something." The slave slowly stepped towards Ivar and sat on his lap. A burning rage took over Eris and she had to use every ounce of strength she had to not hurl her dagger at the slave's head. But the worst thing of all, Ivar didn't push her off. "Your deformity means that the gods favour you especially". Ivar snapped his head to her, watching her with intrigue "I've always known that. I always look for people who are born different. Because that's the true sign. You are a very special person. Nobody else here is like you" The slave leant into his ear "You are destined for great things".

"You are free to go" Ivar breathed, a small smile on his face.

Eris wanted to smack that smile right off of his stupid face. It pained her to see how he looked up at the slave, his face radiating innocence and intrigue. All it took was another woman to whisper sweet nothings into his ear for him to forget all about her. Or so that's how she felt. How dare he allow another naked woman to sit on his lap. That spot was reserved for Eris and Eris alone.

"Do you not want me to..." The slave asked.

"No" Ivar shook his head "No you don't understand. You are a free woman now."

Freydis planted a soft kiss on Ivar's lips. He blinked up at her rapidly when she broke the fleeting kiss. He didn't kiss her back but he didn't stop her advance either.

Eris couldn't watch the scene anymore

Eris couldn't watch the scene anymore. Her blade spun through the air and landed on the far corner of the chair, pining a large section of the slave's blonde locks.

"Oops, I missed," Eris said with fire in her eyes but a sickening smirk on her face.

As much as she wanted to kill the slave for daring to try and take what was hers, she did not actually aim to kill her. She and everyone else knew that she never missed her target.

Ivar's eyes almost blew up in his head when he saw Eris glide out from the shadows, twirling a second dagger in her fingers.

"Eris?!" Ivar shouted. 

He instinctively pushed Freydis off his lap. She yelped in pain as the hair caught by the blade ripped and her naked body hit the hard stone floor. 

"Oh, don't stop on my account, Boneless" Eris said calmly as she approached the pair.