{26}

A/N: sorry for eventually cringe parts, I am way more comfortable and skilled writing death, chaos and drama than love scenes and fluff. Anyway, bear with me, I am still learning and trying my best -._.-

"Well, that was fun," I say after we catch our breaths next to the river. Ghirahim had the funny idea to push me in, but my reflexes were just fast enough to pull him with me. So, we both ended up soaked to the bone. "Sure it was, but right now I am mourning my fantastic hair," Ghirahim speaks as he tries to flutter his hair dry with his hand. "Oh you big baby," I say, as I ruffle his hair to make it an even bigger mess. "You-! You are going to regret that!" Ghirahim screams, and I quickly get up to run. I have taken three steps, before he's already teleported in front of me. I make a dodging move, and run past him. "Catch me if you can!" I yell, and I hear him chuckle. Gods I love the sound of his laugh. I quickly glance over my shoulder, but he's nowhere to be seen. Suddenly, I crash into something, or rather, someone. "Seems like I caught you, little Faelen," I hear him say. However, I had too much speed when I crashed into him, so he loses his balance as well. We both fall to the ground, and laugh it off. "I'm not that small," I say when I catch my breath. We lay underneath the big tree, and I see the sunrays shine through the leaves. I turn to my side, and lay on Ghirahim's chest. "You are. I can use you as an armrest if I wanted to," Ghirahim comments while closing his eyes to enjoy the moment. I shrug, and close my eyes as well. We lay there for a couple of hours, enjoying the sun and each other's presence. "Ghirahim?" I ask after a while. "Hm?" he hums. "What about your... task?" I ask him, and he opens his dark brown eyes as he fixes his gaze on me. "Demise can rot in his seal." 

It's getting dark, and with that, I feel the temperature drop. "It's getting late. I think I'm going to head back to the Kikwi's to spend the night there. I haven't seen them for ages," I say as I slowly get up. "Do you have to?" Ghirahim whines. I smile as I comb his hair with my fingers. "Yeah. They're my family, after all," I say while making a small braid in his snow white locks. "It must be nice," Ghirahim suddenly says. "Hm?" Ghirahim gets up as well. We now sit together under the tree, and I crawl closer to him as I give him a not-understanding look. "To have a family," he clarifies. "Oh. Yea, it is nice. They'll always have your back, no matter what. They will always love you, with every choice and every step you make," I say, thinking about the Kikwi's. "But I love you too, and yet, we're not family," Ghirahim speaks with question in his voice. I laugh. "True, but... What we have, is another kind of love," I explain. "Can I..." Ghirahim takes a deep breath. "Is there any way I can become family too?" he asks me. I smile. "Yes, there is. But for now, let's just stay... us, okay?" I grin. "Us is good enough. For now," Ghirahim smirks. I stand up and brush the dust off my clothes. "Hey, you, uh, you can come with me if you want? To meet them?" I offer the Demon Lord. "I'm sure they all love you once they know you," I assure him. He places a hand on his heart, giving me an offended look. "Of course they will love me! Everyone loves me!" he says, and I smile. "Yeah, that's true." Ghirahim opens his mouth to continue his bragging, but I cut him off. "Oh, do be quiet and come with me already," I laugh as I shut him up with a kiss. "After you, then."

I was right. After a re-introduction and a little talking here and there, they all love Ghirahim. Even Bucha, the elder, warmed up after an apology from Ghirahim and a little chatting after. Everybody knows Ghirahim rarely (but preferably never) apologises to anyone, so him giving one to Bucha was already a great step for the elder. We played hide and seek for a bit, and Ghirahim even seemed to enjoy it this time. Of course, due to his teleportation ability, he was very hard to find, and he found everyone with ease. After a game or three, I said my goodnight's to everyone, and left for the big, hollow tree. Ghirahim followed me, and now we're here, sitting on a thick branch, looking at the stars. "Today was fun," Ghirahim pipes up. "Maybe the Kikwi's aren't as bad as I thought," he quietly says. I look at him and put my head on his shoulder. "I'm glad you like them," I smile. "I didn't say I like them! They are... Tolerable," Ghirahim defends himself. "Okay, you do you," I grin. I feel myself getting sleepier by the minute, and as my eyes close and my vision fades to black, I feel Ghirahim wrapping his arms around me. 

"Goodnight, little one," Ghirahim speaks, while covering up a black stripe on his arm with his cloak. 

****

"I told you that it was going to destroy you," Fi speaks. She and her fellow Sword Spirit stand in front of the tree. "It is not. You don't know what you're talking about," Ghirahim snarls at her. "As a matter of fact, I do. You sense it as well. He's gathering more strenght. Soon, he will burst out of his seal again, and will come for you," Fi continues. "He knows you have betrayed him. It is your responsibility." Ghirahim puts his hands on his hips. "No, it's not. I don't want to interfere," he answers her. "That's not up to you. We all play our part in destiny. You cannot walk away from what you are; a demon. You will always be one. You cannot deny the darkness that resides in you," Fi argues. "Are you really that stupid? Can't you see I changed? I'm no longer connected to that part of me. It's my past," Ghirahim snaps back. "You can run from it, but your true nature will take over again. It's just a matter of time." Ghirahim grits his teeth. "No, it will not," he says. "Then explain those black markings all over you. Demise is getting stronger, and that also affects you. The darkness is pulling you in, don't deny it," she speaks stern. "I am a changed man! I will not fall back to my old habits. For her," Ghirahim argues back. "How are you going to protect her from Demise, then? I'm sure that he will want his weapon back. Because at the end of the day, that's what we are, Ghirahim. A weapon." Ghirahim shakes his head. "No. If I was only a weapon, I wouldn't feel what I am feeling right now. I refuse to believe that killing is the only thing we're good at!" he yells. "The truth can be hard. I am no better than you are, Ghirahim. We're both designed to kill, and harm others, wether we like it or not. So if you really want to protect her, then step back and do what you're supposed to do. Let Hylia and her chosen warriors handle this," Fi continues. "But if Demise falls, then..." Ghirahim mutters. "Then you will perish as well. That's the price you must pay for her safety." Ghirahim keeps quiet. "The question is, do you love her enough to make that sacrifice?" Fi asks, now in a soft, understanding voice. "Yes. Anything to keep her safe." Fi nods. "I must return to my Master. I trust you do what's best," she speaks before flying away. Ghirahim teleports himself back inside the tree, and he watches how Faelen peacefully sleeps on the bed he put her on. "I'm sorry." With those words, he left.