How The Moon was Stolen Away

When this land was young and the Divines were still deciding how to reign over their beloved peoples, the moon still belonged to the goddess Lyrinth.

Lyrinth is the second youngest of the seven Divines and twin to Hubris. On her 7th birthday, like all of her previous siblings, she was given a land and power to rule over. She was given the sun, the moon and became the goddess of peace.

The land she was gifted was a lush forest with breezy meadows and bright, babbling brooks. She created all manner of creatures to fill her forests. Some were small and shy, such as the moon foxes, and some were large and ferocious—but, solitary. Such was the way of her land: balance and peace.

Her creation was not complete, however, until she made her own people.

Lyrinth saw how her sisters' creations were powerful and long lived. How they fought at the behest of every Divine's feud—until destruction was the only thing they seemed to be capable of.

And so, she decided to create something different. Creatures like her forest, welcoming and filled with balance. It would be their mission to help the other people of Sylrainth to be peaceful.

Thus, she created the humans. Lyrinth gathered the ideals of her soul and made them from the same stuff as her animals—creating the first and only non-fae race.

The humans were short lived, small and appreciated everything around them.

For the first few generations, Lyrinth kept them confined to her forest. The goddess lived among them as their provider and protector and she was loved fiercely.

Slowly, she started allowing her humans to venture beyond the border of her domain. They first met the Zantians, and they were quite friendly towards each other.

Next, they stumbled upon the Draconyx. Their meeting was civil, but strained. Disaster struck when they met the Dravati.

The fae that Karis created were arrogant and all powerful. As fickle as the wind, Dravati could take any form they pleased. As the most powerful race, all fae were slaves to their whims.

Thus naturally, the Dravati harbored closest ties with the Elves. It was those such ties that doomed the humans.

When Dravati discovered the existence of the magicless humans, they were overjoyed and welcoming. They even decided to throw a party in their honor. Sparing no expense, it took place in the grand palace of the Dravati fae. They ferried every human of their lands, showering them with jewels and silks and lavish clothes. The party was planned to last a month with the amount of food and pleasures that were amassed.

Representatives from all races attended and formed bonds with the new race of the adored goddess of the sun, the moon and peace. In fact, they were all quiet on board with the humans being symbols of her peace.

Despite the Elves hating everyone but the Dravati, they were also quite accommodating. Trade routes were established, and every city agreed to allow humans through their gates—rare as there existed no cohabitated cities in this era.

Late into the week, when everyone was thoroughly drunk off of Dravati wine, disaster struck.

A drunk human woman fell and was caught by a Draconyx. Blood welled as his claws accidentally snagged her delicate skin.

Fae gasped as they glanced towards the commotion. Red blood—not blue blood. Red—the blood of animals. Red—the blood of lesser beings. Red—the blood of non-fae.

The Draconyx dropped the girl, disgust contorting his features. Outraged cries filled the air as everyone spoke at once.

A Dravati faea shouted over the din as she stormed forward, "What is the meaning of this? You dare lie to us? "