Chapter 36: Forgive Me

A/N: This chapter is unedited and will have errors. Note there will some mention of poisoning just incase anyone is uncomfortable with that. 

Hope you enjoy it.

-------

"Please have a seat, Prince Marcus," I said as I gestured to the seat opposite me.

"How are you feeling? Are you sure you would like to have this discussion here?" Prince Marcus asked as he lifted a brow in suspicion. His tired eyes followed Linda's movement as she placed two cups of hot tea and a layout of pastries.

"I am fine, thank you for asking your majesty. I'm certain this is the ideal place to have our long-overdue discussion." I replied as I realized he was indicating that Linda should leave.

"Is that so..." he drawled.

"Yes, your majesty. We will have the privacy we need to discuss sensitive matters without being disturbed while being surrounded by the calming scents of the plants her majesty has taken such great care of." I said.

"And will your maid be joining this discussion as well?" He inquired as my body stiffened at his question.

With a gentle smile, I said, "No your majesty she will not be joining us. Once we are ready to begin Linda will be taking her while my guards keep watch until we are finished."

Glancing in Linda's direction I felt a sudden pang of guilt in my chest as I remembered the secret, I could not tell her. Keeping her in the dark about the threat my sister made towards her mother. Whereas I would have preferred to have her remain at my side at this moment there were some things she was not prepared to hear. I hoped with all my heart that she would never have to know the truth and that aunt Helen would be safe while receiving her treatment. And my mother's accomplices remained in the shadows, never carrying out their plans. A wishful thought.

"Linda?"

"Yes, Lady Rebekah. How may I be of assistance?"

"Thank you for helping me with the snacks and tea. You may take the rest of the day to relax until I return." I politely said.

"Thank you, Lady Rebekah. Your generosity is much appreciated." Linda said as she bowed before leaving.

The instant she had exited the room I turned my full attention to the man before me as he leaned back into his chair, loosening the tie around his neck.

"Now that we are alone what is it you wish to know?" he asked while gesturing with his hand for me to begin.

I opened and closed my mouth as I tried to decide what question I should ask first. A wide range of questions swarmed my mind all at once.

"Rebekah?" he called.

I awkwardly cleared my throat as I finally decided what was the first thing, I needed him to do.

"Before I ask you the questions, I need answers to, there is one matter you must fix before I begin."

"And what may that be?"

"An apology," I said. The seriousness in the tone of my voice caught him off guard as his brows creased in the middle.

"It seems I have yet to offer you a proper apology for all that has happened, haven't I?" He grimaced at the thought. His expression softened.

Standing from his seat he dropped to his knees infront of me. My eyes widened in surprise at his behavior. The proud Prince Marcus knelt before me as he spoke, "Therefore let me sincerely apologize for my previous actions, my dear Rebekah."