𝟎𝟎⋆prologue

☆ ⋆ ☆ ⋆ ☆ ⋆ ☆ ⋆ ☆ ⋆ ☆

Lydia Carver hadn't planned on spending her Fourth of July at Startcourt Mall, and she definitely hadn't planned on spending it babysitting Mike Wheeler, Jane Hopper and the rest of their strange group

Lydia Carver hadn't planned on spending her Fourth of July at Startcourt Mall, and she definitely hadn't planned on spending it babysitting Mike Wheeler, Jane Hopper and the rest of their strange group. However, she wasn't left with much of a choice when she realised that her boyfriend, Billy Hargrove, had been possessed by some monster from another dimension.

When Eleven and her friends explained the situation she didn't know who was more shocked; herself when she found out another gate had been opened, or Eleven when she realised that Lydia was like her. They didn't have time to sit around and share war stories of their time at Hawkins Laboratories, though.

Lydia just wanted to save Billy.

Which is what led her to hide in the Gap with Eleven, Mike and Billy's younger sister, Max. Ducking behind a table, the four of them hid from the Mind Flayer as it hunted them down. It was mainly searching for El but it wasn't about to let the others get away, either.

The tentacle of the Mind Flayer screeched as it moved through the store in search of them. When Mike went to speak, Lydia leaned over and cupped her hand over his mouth, forcing him to stay quiet so that they wouldn't be caught.

As the noise grew closer Lydia tried her ability once more but still found that she was unable to stop the Mind Flayer. Lydia had telekinetic abilities like all of the children who found themselves at Hawkins Laboratory. Not only this but like each child, she had her own special skill.

While Eleven could open gates and look into a person's mind, Nine had the ability to force people to do things against their will. The only reason her parents were able to notice was that when she did this to somebody, they remained conscious of what they were doing.

So when she began forcing her parents to leave her room or drop the toy that they had confiscated, it became glaringly obvious to them.

Unfortunately for Lydia, Max, Mike and El, her special skill didn't extend to the creatures of the Upside Down. Lydia didn't think it would but figured that it was worth a shot.