Chapter 81

A/N: I have been gone for a while. I'm sorry. There are things in my personal and professional life that take precedence.

I love Elena and Daryl, they were the first story I dared to publish anywhere for others to see, and the response I got was more than I expected. But their time is slowly coming to an end. I'm not gonna lie, that spark that filled me since the beginning of their story was dying slowly ever since Rick excited TWD and grew with each new episode. I still love Daryl and other characters, I still plan to go through the other ideas I recently presented, but they won't actually follow the show.

This is not the end. Not yet. But it's all planned and mostly written. I hope to go back to my early schedule of posting once a week.

I love you all and thank you for your continuous support!

Cheers :)

The remaining stretch of our journey wasn't inspiring. We discovered that one of the people stuck in that building was a doctor and a former obstetrician. Maggie and Glenn's smile was heartwarming, and surprisingly there was no ping in my gut or any other feeling of misery. Snuggled into Daryl's side with his hand gripping my thigh, I felt utterly at peace talking about babies and pregnancy.

Daryl mentioned it a few times in the past, but it seemed that it was finally the truth. I didn't need to bare his children to be a Dixon. We were a family, him, me, our gorgeous Lucy, his idiot brother, and maybe in the future even Mich? And then there was every other person that resided in Alexandria. A family.

Eventually, the RV came to a stop, and we all pooled out of it, glancing in the distance. The first thing we could see beside the greenery was a reasonably tall fence stretching quite far in both directions. It wasn't like Alexandria's. Made of wooden logs, tightly tied together, they varied in size and type but created an impenetrable wall. And of course, not everyone was due to think about it, but I could already see an issue with it. If anyone wanted to attack them, a simple fire would suffice.

This place was indeed its namesake - located on a slight ground elevation - it offered a good vantage point. The tree line was far enough to have a clear view of incoming threats, both undead and human. I also couldn't see any support beams, meaning they didn't make the same mistake as Deanna and placed them inside the community from the get-go.

Jesus let us on a small dirt path, and we halted when the voice sounded from on top of the wall.

"Stop right there."

It was an automatic response. We went through too much shit to not react that way, and in a split second every single one of us was pointing a gun at the two men. I would like to point out that the men had no weapon other than a spear.

"Ya gonna make us?" Daryl stepped forward, the rifle pressed tightly to his shoulder. I moved to stand next to Rick, my MP5 ready to fire.

"Jesus, what the hell is this?" One of the guards asked, and I wished to know as well.