⁰⁹ | Charlie Conway asks the question

ᴍᴀᴇᴠᴇ ᴡɪʟʟɪᴀᴍꜱ

"𝐈'𝐌 𝐒𝐔𝐂𝐇 𝐀𝐍 idiot!" Guy Germaine announced as he practically tore his hockey bag to shreds.

"Finally something we agree on," I stated.

I appreciated that he was at least self-aware.

"I truly find it amazing--a personality like yours and you still can't get any dates," He sarcastically sneered.

"Even more amazing--a personality like yours and you can," I shot back as he rolled his eyes and swung the door of the locker room open to retrieve the helmet he had left in Claudia's car. If his head wasn't screwed on I bet he'd lose that too.

Charlie Conway caught my eye as he tried to stifle a laugh. "Not a fan of Guy?"

"Have you met her?" Adam spoke up, his jersey fighting to get over his pads.

I squinted at him and he shrugged with his usual toothy and teasing grin.

"Would you kill me if I asked what happened?" Charlie questioned.

Adam threw his head back and cackled. "Oh buddy, we'll be here a while."

Charlie smiled at the boy and turned back to me. "Is it really that complicated?"

Guy blew through the door once again--this time, helmet in hand.

Charlie's gaze held mine. I nodded, and his face softened.

Whatever Charlie Conway was about to say next, I'm not sure I wanted to hear by the way he hesitated on his words. "I don't think you ever knew how much he liked you."

I closed my eyes. I would rather be dead to Guy Germaine than hear about how much he liked me.

☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆∵☆

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐄𝐌𝐈-𝐅𝐈𝐍𝐀𝐋 𝐆𝐀𝐌𝐄 was tied halfway through the final period. If I was watching, I'd be on the edge of my seat. But I wasn't. I was down on the ice, receiving the puck as Goldberg cleared it.

I saw my chance and I took it. That's the thing about chances--you'll never know you had one if you sit around waiting for it. And I do not like to wait.

I kept the puck close to myself as I darted between Cardinal players. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw one coming hard. If I had closed my eyes to brace myself for the expected impact, I would've missed a flash of #00 check him into the boards behind me.

Deeking around the last defender, it became just me and the goalie. I heard chants and screams around me, but I couldn't focus on them. Everything I had was focused on this exact moment--the feeling of my skates clinging to the ice, the tight grip of my gloves, the cold air I breathed in and out. Everything I had was in the slap of my stick against the black disc. Every part of me was in it as I pumped my arms in the air at the sound of the buzzer.

Adam crashed into me, his cheers bringing me back as he patted my helmet. "Reilly would shit himself if he saw that!"

I laughed because he was probably right. "Well, then I guess I'll just have to do the same thing at the championship."

"Woah now, let's not get too ahead of ourselves. We still have 10 minutes," Adam said as we took our spots back at the draw.

The ref slammed the puck down. Here we go again.

Being 3-2 against the Cardinals was the toughest 8 minutes of the entire season so far. Holding a lead had never been so hard. Until Adam Banks saved the day.