PART ONE: 1.4

┌────── ∞ ──────┐

1.4

└────── ∞ ──────┘

Athena wasn't scared of many things. She wasn't a 'scared' person at all, really.

But she sure did have fears.

One being the thing that seemed to make or break anyone's life.

Love.

She didn't exactly fear love. Avoided it, yes. But most of all, Athena was confused by it.

They were confused over how easy it was to simply commit to so much, confused over the heavy amount of trust and knowing that went into it.

Athena didn't have any problems with trusting people, but she sure did have lots of confusion over it.

Really, she was just indecisive.

The teen really had 3 overall 'fears + confusion' factors.

1. Love

2. Reading Assignments

3. America

Currently, she was attempting to combat two at the same time, which she was totally up to do because why not, but at the same time, it is f*cking weird.

Leaning over a worn copy of 'Lord of the Flies' Athena re-read the first paragraph of the first page over and over. The American-coffee-shop-atmosphere surely did not help with the words being constantly re-arranged and jumbled together.

She peeked away from the homework for a minute to take a deep breath, glancing around at the vine covered walls and very Cali-esc style to everything.

Once raking her eyes outside and peering out the window to watch American-Cars American-Driving down the American-roads, Athena noticed two figures on the edge of the street.

It was pouring down rain, monsoon almost. And not an umbrella in sight between the two people.

She slowly turned, fully squinting in the direction of them.

It was a woman and a man, having a rather intense conversation. Athena couldn't make out what they were saying out of the pouring down rain and chatty atmosphere around her, but from their features, she could tell it was rather passionate, (and telling someone's emotions don't come easily to her).

Once taking another few seconds to analyze the figures, she assumed it was a woman and man, both of them no older than their mid-20's at best.

The girl had collarbone length, sandy-brown hair, pinned back elegantly, even when soaked through February rain. The man was adorning a nice coffee-brown overcoat, which was probably comfy when not completely wet.

Athena watched another minute or so, noticing that it was more than a 'passionate' conversation. It was an argument.

Athena sipped on their iced coffee slowly, not taking her eyes off the—couple? Friends? Strangers? Lovers?

After observing for another solid 3 minutes, watching the heated conversation with a mix of awe and uncertainty, she watched almost in slow-motion as the girl trudged over to the boy, pulling on the collar of his overcoat, and kissing him. Deeply in love, obviously.

And just like that, Athena was facing 3 out of 3 of her fears.

What a day.

This could easily be the season finale to Athena's favorite reality TV show, and it still wouldn't be as exciting as this.