Chapter 4: Pendulum

Though a bit stiff, sleeping on that makeshift bed was better than nothing.

I returned the couches to their original states but used the sheets as a sack to carry all my finds from last night. I carried the sack with the pink salt sword by threading it through the handle.

With my spirits high and my feet low I marched to the door and laid my hand on the doorknob before wondering why I was in that room. Someone told me to go here. A girl. What was her name? Yvette? Janice... Candace?

Whatever her name was, it was something pretty. She was pretty herself. Fitting, actually. Fitting... fitting. Clothes fit... My notebook!

I dug a hand down my shirt, expecting to find my name notebook but nothing met my fingertips. What was her name! My notebook, it was last in my old clothes, they were in that laundry room. Damn it, I had to navigate my way there!

Whipping the door open, I trudged out of the room into the Abandoned Wing's hallway. It was eerily quiet, especially since it's the morning. Outside it was a grey sky, with a darkness looming in the distance. Maybe it was going to rain today. Rain was always so pleasing to listen to when it would pelt down on the windows of my bedroom as I breathed in my three candles. Vanilla, sandalwood, soy wax. I actually gave them names: Vixen, Sadie and Sweeney. I think it's obvious which is which.

It was easy to remember their names because I could relate them to their flavours and change their names as I please. With humans I couldn't do that, but that wasn't the case.

Magne told me that there was something in my brain that couldn't process the concept of remembering names. Strangely though I could remember his and Yaritza's names. Probably because they were my number one people in the world.

As I walked down the hallway, newly-acquired knickknacks slung over my shoulder, I spotted a familiar figure approaching me. What I needed to remember was her name. Joe... Jan... Hannah... Yann...

The girl walked promptly to me with a tray resting on her arms. Breakfast I assumed. From where I was standing I could smell the savoury sustenance.

We met halfway, at the salt border. Funny how I have a salt sword and there's a salt border. What's breakfast gonna be? Salt?

"Goo-Good mm-orning..." the girl stammered, brushing a stray strand of hair away with her shoulder.

I nodded with a smile and jabbed my head to the load over my shoulder. She cocked an eyebrow before realising what I was gesturing to.

"Break-fast." she croaked, raising the tray to my face. "For you."

"Ah, thank you. Where shall we eat?"

She stared off to the side for a moment before deciding to turn and walk without saying a word. Not one for communication.

I followed her to her chambers where we sat on the bed. The girl sat closest to the edge, near the door, while I sat a distance away from her so that she would feel safe from me.

I unpacked the trinkets and spread them out around the cloth. The girl examined them with great interest, eyes wide with astonishment. She squinted at the fart-scented envelope, then opened it and read. I leaned over and we read it together in silence. She tilted the page towards me but bent away from my presence.

To Lars Haraldsen,

Considering your extraordinary skill in fishing and seamanship, we have gifted you an asset that will hopefully take your skills to greater heights. To claim this asset, you will have to find it in the catacombs of Isolering Castle and unlock the chains that confine it. You will see that we have provided a key for you in the envelope that you have received. Do not lose it.