You are My Light in the Darkest Night

--- A submission for Priest's Birthday Event (13.06.2022)

See the event here on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/priest24h

----------

A magnificent villa stood tall in front of Fei Du. It was grand and spacious, the kind of residence that could only belong to someone, or a family, that was so wealthy they had no qualms squandering money for an extravagant lifestyle. A house like this, many people could only ever dream of possessing it without having the actual capability to afford it, even if they were to work themselves to the bone all their life. And yet something that should've been cherished like a treasure, a single look at it would make one wonder why an otherwise luxurious residence would appear so bleak and austere instead of merry.

What was wrong? What went wrong?

Fei Du stood before the gate that was much too familiar to his eyes since he was young. His gaze fell upon the beautiful villa standing before him, an indescribable emotion hidden in the spheres of his eyes behind the spectacles. A familiar yard, a familiar porch. A familiar living room and dining table, every door and stairs, the path leading down to the basement, down to the smallest corners, there was nothing he never saw.

What kind of feelings was he having, he wondered, if he was even capable of having feelings still. A house bereft of warmth, a family bereft of affection. Would it be better for him if he were to be born to more humble parents? Would growing up in an ordinary family bless him with more love in exchange for wealth?

He did not know. Since the beginning, he was never allowed the room to wonder.

All he knew was the stench of blood, the choice of life and death in his palm, the suffocation in his throat, and a blazing zap on his chest.

***

Fei Du blinked his eyes open. His surroundings were dark, but the air enveloping his person was not foreign. Though he woke up with a chill slightly jolting his body, he soon found himself wrapped in warmth once more, easing his heart before it could beat and race too harshly.

He was quiet for a moment, unmoving, unspeaking. Gradually, his eyes began to register the situation he was in, restoring his unfocused mind distraught by the dream. A familiar room, a familiar bed. He was tucked under the blanket, a familiar scent enshrouding him, smelling like home. When he turned his head, beside him he found a familiar person, fast asleep without the smallest awareness that he was awake.

He saw Luo Wenzhou deep in slumber, seemingly incapable of noticing even if an earthquake were to shake the whole city.

Fei Du rose to sit on the bed; his movement slow and cautious so as not to disturb the other person. He was quiet for a long time, staring at the fine, handsome face of the person next to him. Luo Wenzhou looked peaceful in his sleep, the faint snores emitting from him barely audible. He did not stir much, lying sprawled on his back, occupying half of the bed. For Fei Du, this was a sight he had seen too frequently, something he would encounter if not every day. He should've long grown used to it, he should be.

But now, for some reason, he felt that the scar on his chest was aching, just a little bit. Even though it was supposed to not hurt anymore...

Without thinking, Fei Du threw himself onto the other person.

"Hmm? What? What happened?"

Luo Wenzhou jolted awake, his mouth blurting out questions before his mind could even think. What he first noticed was a heavy load atop his body, an unknown weight making him unable to get up. When he came to it, he finally realized that apparently, it was due to a certain someone clinging tightly to him out of the blue.