Chapter 1

I'M TIRED OF LIVING LIKE THIS.

The days adrenaline gives me insomnia. I'm laying down on my bed. The lights are off, but I am more awake than ever.

After some hours of counting the red cars on TV,I blink and there's a pistol in my hand. I look back and there he is, approaching me

He takes away my gun. My heart sinks-I've felt this before-he pulls the trigger,targeting me. I dodge. He pulls another. I swerve down,taking his leg with me.

We are both on the floor now. The gun falls. I crawl to grab it but he grabs it first. I hit the gun out of his hand. He grabs it back. I hit it again, but again he grabs it. He wants to shoot. At the last minute, I twist the gun. He pulls the trigger. The deadly bullet goes.

His body falls back and I get up. He is bleeding. Badly. I freeze. I try to shout, but I don't. I want to check him, but I don't. I shut my eyes.

"Jahiem!" I finally scream as I open my eyes once more. I am sweating. It was just a dream. The same one I have been having for sometime.

It's 3:00am. At least that's what the clock says. People believe it as the time of the devil. Usually that doesn't scare me,but today it does. I get up from bed. I don't want to go back to that dream,so might as well start my day.

I go through the door fram,it looks smaller. I head to the open kitchen-It's too early for Starbucks so I make a strong cup of coffee,black.

The whistle from the pot disturbs me so I stop the brew, thankfully it's already done I get the pot and pour myself a cup. I pick up a magazine and there he is,my stepfather.The one who ruined my life. As I am thinking, I hear a loud quiet noise. My ears ring and everything goes black.

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

I open my eyes, everything is blurry but slowly it clears up. I try to stand up but I can't. I'm tied up. There's brown rope binding my legs and arms, but my mouth is free. My escape can't be this easy. I look around the white room and there's a tiny black camera at the right corner of the ceiling-someone is watching me, but who?

I move my eyes from the camera, quick enough to not be noticed and slow enough to not be suspicious.

Sneakily, I remove the rope on my legs. It wasn't tied properly, whoever brought me here either wants me to escape or is a novice. I know it's stupid to fall into the trap, but my curiosity overpowers me and I escape.

I laser the camera and there's a door,ajar, by the left which I use to leave. The hallway is dark and lonely, cobwebs decorate the peeled brown walls.I walk through, It's too dark to tell where the hallway stops, but after a while I look and there are two rooms one to my left and another to my right. Ahead is just a dead end. I peep through the right door and there are stairs,but where do they lead. I thank God for my cautious side that holds back from further exploring.

A rusty voice calls out to me "Hello, Naveen." I recognise the voice immediately, it's him, my stepfather.

I turn back to face him, "why am I here?" I ask. Of course he's the one who kidnapped me.

"Is that the new way of greeting your family? I was going for more of an embrace or something like that,you know." He says, smirking big.

I kiss my teeth and give him a stink eye "We are not family and will never be. Documents may tie us but we will never be family." I say, obviously annoyed. His smirk remains. "Again, why am I here?"

"I need your assistance."

"I'm not helping you." I clap back.

"Then she dies." He doesn't have to say anymore for me to understand. It's the same thing he has held against me for some time now. My mother. His wife.

"What do you want?"

"I need you to gather your guys. We'll discuss the rest later,but Alonso is becoming more of a risk to me. I'll need about 20 men. That's all you need to now for now." He says, with a hint of worry in his voice.

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

"I want 20 men. Send them to 'Scar'. He needs some help with Alonso,and I like Alonso. So do what you have to do." I announce to any of the men with me willing to do their job.

"Yes boss" they answer.