You Never Would Have Thought

Her touch was as light as a feather as her soft skin melted against his; her thumb rubbed gentle circles onto the marbled skin of his face. His head was bowed shamefully, his expression squeezed tight with the sorrow of parting. He didn't want to let her go, but he simply had to. The girl's head bowed with his, though even in his human form he towered over her; he leaned farther down and rested his forehead atop hers as she tried to prevent the inevitable tears that stung her eyes but squeezing them shut as tightly as she could. But yet the saltiness of sorrow and longing for him to stay bubbled and brimmed to the surface; her head was still bowed as the sorrow that leaked from the girl's eyes stained the floor with her grief.

They'd known this was coming; it was inevitable- as most painful things in life are-, but now that it was here. Now that it was really time for him to return home and leave her behind, they were filled with dread and sorrow. The pair stayed silent for a moment longer, just taking in the presence of the other, knowing this was the last time that he would hold her, and for her the last time that she'd remember him fully. Then, his breath hitched as his beautiful oceanic eyes searched her face for anything that would make him feel worse, regret or hatred, but he was met with nothing but kindness and love. He'd loved her so, and she'd loved him just as much; never in his time had he loved another like her. Tears began to fall from his eyes when they met hers, her beautiful hazel hues coated with nothing but love- and even though they were slightly tinged by the redness of the aching sadness that was embedded within her, he still found them as beautiful as when he first looked into them.

His tears were so beautiful they seemed to gleam and glow. The tears of a god no longer wanting to be in his position of power. The tears of a mere man who wanted nothing more than to stay and love the woman he'd fallen for. The tears of Apollo shimmered a golden hue as they rolled down his flawless skin and pelted the ground. Their tears mixed into the sodden earth where this last thing they both remembered of each other would lie.

His hand tucked beneath her chin, his touch was light, and it felt as though nothing but air had brushed against her skin. When he moved her head upwards, her eyes flickered up to meet his; their faces were so close that all she'd have to do was lean forward and connect their lips for the last time. But she held restraint, her breath held as he looked down upon her; even after all this time, his beauty still struck deep within her.

She was gorgeous, the only being he'd ever fallen for in his sorrowed centuries of life, and now he had to let her go. He had to sit upon his throne and watch her move on from him with no recollection of their time together. But he pushed the thoughts from his mind as her eyes fluttered open- at some point, while he'd been lost in thought, she must have hidden her marvelous hazel hues. But, as they opened he finally saw her true feelings, and his heart sank; it sank so low that even hades would've missed catching it. A single tear streamed down her flushed cheeks. His hand traveled up to the side of her face and cradled it lightly.

Then, she spoke. Her words trembled and quivered, "I don't want to forget you." It came out in a mumbled, sorrow-filled whisper; her chin trembled beyond belief as her breath grew ragged.

He longed to tell her it would be alright, that he could stay longer. But he'd be lying; the last thing he wanted to do was lie to her before making her forget him. He breathed out a sigh before he began to speak, "I know, my love." His words were a hushed whisper, as though he wanted to keep her his secret.

He searched her eyes with his own strikingly blue hues; he held back the sob that racked within his body, drawing in a breath to steady himself before he spoke again, "But you knew this would come eventually, my brethren aren't too happy with my actions nor my absence." His thumb stroked against her cheek; the same light touch she'd given him was repeated by the god. Though now this god seemed to be more man than being. His eyes stayed on hers, making sure to bask in her gaze for what would be the last time.