fourteen

more teeth

"Where the heck are we gonna find more teeth?" Elliot asked as Claire got to her feet and began digging around in the souvenir shack's first aid kit. "Unless someone wants to donate to the cause—"

"I have an idea," Claire interrupted. She was holding a radio and a flare in her hands. "Okay, so—you just wait here. It's gonna be fine." She nodded at them. There were more gunshots from Owen's rifle outside.

Elliot furrowed her eyebrows. "Wait, where are you going?" She demanded.

"To get more teeth," Claire answered. "Just—stay put. I'll be right back." With that, Claire climbed over the counter and took off in the direction of the other paddocks in this area of the park.

Elliot threw her hands in the air before bringing them back down on her knees with a frustrated sigh. "That wasn't vague at all!" She exclaimed, looking over at Zach and Gray.

There was more roaring from outside, followed by silence. Elliot and Zach locked eyes for a moment, breathing heavily, when suddenly Owen slid over the counter. Gray yelped, but Owen held a finger to his lips. Elliot pressed her lips together and took several calming breaths. Her dad looked at her and nodded reassuringly—everything was going to be fine.

The Indominus's growling suddenly sounded much closer than before. Elliot's eyes widened as she realized the dinosaur was leaning down and looking right at them in the souvenir shack. It began knocking itself against the structure, sending the contents flying off the shelves and down onto them.

Owen quickly pushed himself up against the kids, using himself as a shield to keep them as far away from the Indominus as possible. Elliot held onto his arm tightly and tried not to scream as the dinosaur's arm came crashing through the side of the structure. They quickly jumped out of the way and to the opposite wall.

The Indominus was reaching for them—Owen grabbed Gray under his arms and pulled him away from the dinosaur's claws, but they got snagged on Gray's fanny pack and began pulling on him. Gray yelled in fear.

"Gray!" Elliot exclaimed, grabbing ahold of one of his arms while Owen had the other. Zach wrapped his arms around Gray's torso and held on tight.

He was slipping from their grasp, if they didn't do something soon, Gray would get pulled out by the Indominus. Zach quickly leaned over his brother and grabbed the pack's buckle and undid it. It fell away from Gray's body and they were able to pull him back up away from the dinosaur. Zach held onto his brother tightly. "You good?" He asked.

Gray nodded, tears running down his face as he gripped Zach's arms in his hands.

"What the hell are we gonna do?" Elliot asked, keeping her voice as low as she could. "We're trapped."

"It's gonna be fine," Her dad said.

"It doesn't feel fine."

"Hey, c'mon." He looked at her. "You trust me, right?"

Elliot hesitated, but nodded. "Yeah—yeah, I trust you."

The Indominus suddenly stopped trying to force its way to them and turned around. Elliot and the others glanced at one another before hearing a loud roar from outside the souvenir station. The Indominus answered the roar with one of its own. Owen poked his head out over the destroyed counter. "You've gotta be kidding me," He managed.

"What? What is it?" Elliot crawled over to him and peeked over the counter, her eyes going wide as she took in the scene. The Tyrannosaurus Rex had made its way out of its paddock and was squaring up against the Indominus Rex. "Oh—hey, Gray, check this out—" She looked back at him and grinned. "More teeth."