Within The Shadows

In her dreams, she's running. Whether it's the Red Room or the airfield where she nearly lost her dad, she can't say. She can feel her beating heart and the tears that are streaming down her face. Her legs are tired and she feels weak being stuck in her eleven-year-old body. She trips and falls and the soldiers are upon her. She hears a bang then the world goes quiet.

Natasha woke up in a cold sweat. She gasped before leaning up against her head board and rubbing her eyes. After bringing her knees to her chest, she dropped her head and rubbed the residue of tears. The nightmares changed night to night. Some days it was the Red Room, others it was losing her friends, and sometimes it was a mix.

Deep breathes didn't seem to be working. She was still in a panic and couldn't slow her heart. So, she got up, put a sweatshirt on, and walked out into her living room. The Avengers tower was massive, and she was ever grateful. Wandering onto the terrace, the cool night air was a welcomed change. She leaned on the rail and let the cold metal numb her senses.

Steve couldn't sleep either. Unlike Nat, he wasn't sure why. He spent forever trying, but nothing helped. So, he got up and walked around his floor before walking outside to take in the city. It helped a little but sleep still didn't enter his mind. So when he heard the very faint patter of Natasha's footsteps, he smiled.

She leaned on the rail and rubbed her arms. After doing so, she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, and in the low light he saw the remains of a tear.

"Rough night?" he offered.

Her head jerked up and it spun to look at him. He had that dumb smirk on his face and she couldn't help but let out a rough chuckle.

"Yeah, no I just love not sleeping. These dried tears? They're because I slept last night and I'm sad about it."

He laughed. A full hearted one, and Nat felt her own heart lighten. God what was that?

"So, what's your deal?"
"Oh me?" he pointed at himself, "Yeah, I don't believe in sleep."
Natasha snorted, "What a pair we are."
"Yeah. You mind if I join you?"
"Yeah my door is un-" He jumped on the ledge and down next her, "locked. Show off much."

He laughed before sliding up next to her. They were a few inches apart and just spent a while looking at the city. Steve looked over at Nat before continuing softly.

"Nat what's the real reason you're up?"
She inhaled deeply before continuing, "Nightmares. They change night to night, but they never get better."
"I'm sorry."
"Meh, it is what it is. What about you?"
"I don't know. My brain is running a million miles a minute and it just won't stop."
"Sound like we both need to relax."
"Yeah."

The world went quiet again. Natasha leaned into Steve's arm and sighed. He took his arm and wrapped it around her. They stayed like that, until Nat started to nod off. Then Steve gently bumped her.

"You want to go lie down?"
"Not by myself."

Steve flushed and Natasha chuckled.

"Not like that. I just know I won't sleep if I'm alone."
"Okay. You want me to lay with you?"
"If you want, you don't have to."
"Maybe it'll help me sleep too."

They wandered to Natasha's room together, and got in bed. At first separate, but when Nat couldn't get comfortable, he moved closer and wrapped an arm around her and held her close. They fell asleep like that, close together, listening to each other's breathing and letting it steady them.

~~~~~~~~~~
I'm back!!! As always I plan to dump my worst chapters off first, because I liked the concept but struggled to write it. So here we are. As always grammar, spelling, and ideas!!!