Chapter 14: ~Natalia~

It had been two weeks since they got word from Beijing about Los Calavera ordering the transportation of over twelve people. Marcos, who turned out to be incredibly smart with technology, was able to get the list of names of the people who were supposed to be trafficked. They all had false documentation but at least they had clear pictures of who to rescue. But still they had not been able to locate the buyer. The most important piece of the puzzle. Whoever it was, according to Marcos, did not want to make themselves known, and no one could identify him or her.

At this point, Alejandro was frustrated at their inability to advance in their investigation but no matter what, he never took it out on them. Alejandro knew these were just speedbumps in the road, things that were bound to happen one way or another.

During these two weeks Natalia had been spending time with the people in town. She helped her mother early in the mornings with the crops and after going back home to clean herself up, she would walk with her to the school. Some days she would stay with her and watch her teach.

It had come as a surprise to her the way her mother had lifted herself up after the trauma she had endured. Elena made everyone feel welcome and loved. She smiled often and showed no hint of deceit or remains of pain. She was genuinely happy. This pleased Natalia a lot.

Natalia had also made friends with one other lady. Aurora. She was the one in charge of the bakery. Natalia had walked into her shop one day and fell in love with the sweets. Aurora was around the same age as her mother Elena, and after talking with her she had noticed the similarities. Aurora was very much like Elena in the sense of how genuine she was. She was wise and had taken a liking to Natalia as soon as she walked through the doors that first day. After a few days, Aurora had asked her if she wanted to learn to bake and Natalia had agreed. As they spent more and more time together, Natalia found out she had no family. Her daughter had died at the age of thirteen due to leukemia. She had volunteered to come to the sanctuary shortly after her death and never went back home. As she recounted her story Natalia's heart broke as she watched Aurora's silent tears fall down her eyes. She wiped them quickly and smiled, not allowing herself to be off guard for too long.

"It was a long time ago, mija. She is better off in heaven. This world is much too cruel for pure souls." Aurora had told her.

Natalia had kept quiet and continued listening to her story. It broke her heart to learn all the different stories of the people living there. Most of them had suffered greatly at the hands of many different cartel members. It angered her as well, knowing they were so helpless and defenseless. Knowing that some of the people living there might have suffered because of her as well, broke another piece of her soul. And she silently vowed to do anything in her power to make sure no one else would ever suffer at the hands of people like her. She wanted to do everything she could to make sure no one else would go through something like that ever again.

"Qué han encontrado hombres? Por favor díganme que tienen algo nuevo." Natalia heard Alejandro ask his men. Marcos and Andrés looked at each other with eyes of disappointment and then back at Alejandro. They both shook their heads answering the question.

"Bueno..." – Alejandro sighed – "Natalia and I will be traveling today. If you make any progress, I will have my phone with me. Call me. I want to know everything." The men nodded in agreement and continued working.

As Alejandro had promised, Natalia spent time at the bunker a lot as well. The men and women working there were quickly taken by her. They were humble and nice to her, especially Marcos who was outgoing and had a very playful sense of humor. He was quick to show her around and teach her a lot from their systems and how they worked. He was also very patient and never seemed to get anxious or angry at her multiple questions. He was always willing and made her laugh every chance he got, and Natalia liked him immediately.