Floo

With hair finished, makeup applied, owl ready, and her uniform on, Eleanor grabbed her bags and walked into the living room where they'd be using some floo powder to arrive at platform 9 3/4.  She saw Mrs. Potter and Mr. Potter in their wizard clothes (which were remarkably different from muggle clothes) like their robes and pointed hats. Mrs. Potter, of course, had less wizard apparel (only a robe on top of her baby blue skirt and white ruffly top), considering the fact she had many muggle friends who were beginning to rub off on her. 

James smiled at Eleanor as she appeared. "Hey, look who it is!" He grinned, walking over to her and slinging an arm around the girl. James had always wanted a sibling, but he never got one. His parents had him when they were in their 40s and by the time James was old enough to realize he wanted more company, his parents were too old to have children. They were in their mid 50s by now, but still looked 30 or 40. They were quite well preserved. 

Mrs. Potter was absolutely lovely. Her hair was white now, but was always styled and smooth. Her skin had very few wrinkles. Her eyes had the prettiest shade of brown and her cheeks had a natural rogue to them. Eleanor decided she'd love to look like Mrs. Potter when she was older. 

Mr. Potter was a nice looking man as well. He looked ten years younger than he really was. He had brown hair and green eyes and a great smile. He and James shared similar features. He didn't have any glasses, but he didn't need them to look like James. They had the same facial structure, same nose and smile. But James did have his mother's eyes, humor, and hair texture. So he was evenly distributed between his parents. 

"James, honey, you'll go first. Eleanor, would you like to go second? Jack and I will go after." Mrs. Potter said with a smile. She patted Eleanor's back. 

"Sure," Eleanor said, smiling up at her foster mother. 

Truth be told, Mrs. Potter had discussed with Mr. Potter the topic of adopting for many, many years now. Mrs. Potter couldn't have any more children, but she desperately wanted more. So she was going to adopt Eleanor. Though, she'd need to talk it over with Eleanor and James first. But already, in the month or two that Eleanor had been here, the Potter family felt as though she was their own. As though she was their daughter.  They'd already adored her. 

"James, hurry up now, sweetie. Get in the fireplace, hun." Mrs. Potter said, handing him a pot with floo powder inside James grabbed a big handful before he tossed it into the fire. He stepped inside and called out, 

"Train station 9 3/4!" And James suddenly disappeared.

Eleanor went next, doing the exact same as James. She wasn't the most skilled with floo powder, but she knew enough about it to make it to Platform 9 and 3/4 safely. Eleanor found herself in a train station, as expected, right next to James. She frowned suddenly. There was a platform 9 . . . and 10 . . . but no numbers in between.  

"Er . . . " Eleanor trailed off awkwardly. 

James looked at her with a huge grin. "We have to pass  through the middle," he explained with a laugh. "Follow my lead." 

She didn't expect what happened next. James grabbed his cart and suddenly began to sprint toward the brick wall. Eleanor's eyes widened and she started to protest as he neared the wall. 

"James! What are you doi—" she faltered. James didn't crash. He didn't fall. He didn't stumble backwards and hit his head on the pavement. Instead, he vanished in mid air. Eleanor's mouth dropped. 

She felt a hand on her shoulder and knew it was Mrs. Potter. "Go on, dear. You'll be alright. I promise." 

So Eleanor readied herself. She took a deep breath, hoping they were right. And she began to run. And she closed her eyes at the expected impact. And the impact came.