chapter one

Well here I am. Four years later in Penny's bar once again. The ambiance feels like home to me again but I have fear. Fear of once again meeting him. Meeting Bradley. I mean we were very close in high school or whatever but isn't high school supposed to make you feel like you met the love of your life and then just throw it away? Well it's like that for mostly everyone except the lucky ones who are the exception and make it.

Him and I were supposed to make it...

Oh my god fuck these feelings. I don't feel like getting sentimental right now because I need to beat this asshole. Hangman. We were also close in highschool as friends, and we joke around like hating each other but it's not like that.

"Get your ass in the game Malibu!" Hangman practically yells.

"Asshole." I mutter out.

I eventually beat him, actually, and drink on his tab. Then I go over to Phoenix. Her and I are the only ones who really stayed connected. You know how high school is, you tell million people that you will stay in touch, but all those little promises they don't mean much when you graduate.

"My girl is back!" She gestures to me.

"And better than ever." I slyly say.

We are sipping on a pint of beer, and just chatting when a look of dismay crosses her face. "Oh. Uh. Your man is recruited, chances are he's showing up in the next thirty minutes." She splurges. "Hey hey slow down Phoenix. My man? As in my ex high school boyfriend? Hell no." I say, kind of irritated and in shock. My heart rate speeds up when I take into account that Rooster is going to be here. And not in the next few days or hours. In thirty minutes.

Just then Fanboy yells out "Well if it isn't Rooster!"

Wait am I actually kind of excited? No girl. You better not be. But the thing is I kind of am. Holy shit.

I get up to catch a glimpse of him to see what he looks like now.

Fuck. He's kinda hot.

No girl. Your in your head. There's no way.

I look again to reveal him taking his aviators off. His eyes are the same. They remind me of him in high school. I don't know wether to run up and kiss him and have a movie moment, or to avoid contact with him and pull and Maverick.

Yeah the second options seems safer but that's not what the heart wants. Damit. I sit back down in my seat since I had apparently sat up to his view.

"Your girls here Brad..." I hear Coyote whisper to him across the room. Why the fuck do people think we are still together?

I hear him laugh. That goddamn laugh. I can recognize it anywhere, and hearing it for the first time in four years makes me sentimental. I see from the corner of the eye Rooster approaching. I was thinking about shuning him out but goddamn, he's too hot.

As he approaches I begin, "Same aviators."

"You have the same bomber jacket." He replys.

I try to conceal my blushing, but I don't know why the fuck I'm acting this way. I'm supposed to be mad at him.

"It's been too long Alessia, we should have stayed in touch." He speaks up.

"Was that my fault?" I question him, intrigued to see his answer.

"No it's just..." He looks away and then kind of looks me up and down but to the point where he tries to not let me know, "I'm the one who should be sorry."

"Life happens Rooster. We've both had our share of that." I tell him looking into those gorgeous brown eyes, with hints of green.

"Oh my fucking god can someone clear up this SEXUAL TENSION!!??" Phoenix yells so that the whole bar focuses on Rooster and I. They all know we used to date and they all used to kind of "ship it". At least the top gun pilots. Just not Bob.

"Can we pretend graduation day never happened?" Rooster speaks up again.

"Bradley, it did happen. I'll forgive you, I cannot seem to forget you, and I can't forget that." I say with a rasp in my voice.

"I understand trust me Ale (pronounced ah-leh) I understand." He confirms.

We part our ways, him to Coyote and me to Phoenix. I see Rooster head to the piano but I think nothing of it.

"You'll be fucking him again before the new top gun class gets to flying." Phoenix teases me.

"Yeah, I need another drink." I laugh out, and get up.

Just then I hear the opening chords to "Great Balls of Fire". I look over to the piano to see a gathered group around him, as he starts singing. I can't help but to smile for some dumb reason, and find my body walking to the piano.

He glances up at me and sings

"You're fine, you're so calm. Imma tell the world that you're mine mine mine mine."

I giggle and walk closer to the piano. He knows exactly what he's doing. He has done it before. However I can't help but see Goose in Rooster right now. He used to show me pictures a long long time ago.

The song ends and everyone goes back to their drinks and prior conversations but Bradley stays and I stay across the piano. He looks at me, and begins playing something softly so no attention will be attracted

"Wise men say...only fools rush in. But I, can't help falling in love with you." He sings lowly.

"Brings back memories Rooster." I speak up.

He gets up and gestures me to go outside. We make our way to the parking lot light pole.

"One more chance. I won't fuck it up this time." He finally confesses.

I throw a smile at him and mutter "See you tomorrow Bradshaw. Bright and early."

I walk away to my car given that it's late. I can't help but hear the crew cheering for Rooster as I leave. Kind of funny for them to want us together so bad.

Should I stay? Would it be a sin? For I can't help falling in love with him.

NOTES FROM AUTHOR: 

hey bestie. hope u enjoyed that lmao im so into rooster rn. im not on a posting schedule so don't come for me if i don't update, im tryingggggg. also yes, i use song lyrics in my writing haha. credit to artic monkeys "the only ones who know" and elvis "cant help falling in love." i added my little spin on it. hope u enjoyed it and hope there are other people who love rooster and are I their rooster era as i am. i LOVE u 😽