ᴄʜʀʏꜱᴀʟɪꜱᴍ

Vin was in the art room, early as per usual. It was Wednesday, so the art class was before lunch instead of after. High school scheduling was strange like that. 

He was staring down pensively at his desk, rolling a pencil back and forth between his hands. Sighing heavily, he started twirling it between his fingers as he would a bullet when he was bored during lookout duty. He tossed the thin object onto his desk and laid his head on upturned palms, uncaring as it rolled off onto the floor. He had been doing nothing but thinking ever since he had left that damned shed.

Unsurprisingly, he was grounded for a week for going off the plan during the trade deal. Worth it. He had been able to talk things out with Damian, and he was still in a state of shock that the boy had let him go. He didn't know what Damian had told his family, but Vin hadn't let anything of their rendezvous slip. Knowing his kin, they would either use this as an opportunity to take advantage of his friendship with the Boy Wonder or silently and passive-aggressively disapprove of his choice of companion. 

Vin couldn't help but wonder if Damian was still pretending to be his friend, reporting back to the rest of the Batclan. He shook his head to dispel the ungallant thoughts. It was an odd camaraderie they had, but maybe, just maybe, it could work. They would have to keep the balance between their alter egos and assure their families stayed unaware of their continued association.

He knew his mother wouldn't care who he spent his time with as long as they were suitable for her figlio. He had to admit that befriending a vigilante was a different league. It would test her acceptance of the dumb shit he did. He wasn't sure how she would react when it came down to it. His grandmama would be warier, but she would accept Damian as a second child after extensive interrogation. 

He was more concerned about the male role models in his life. As proven by the last few days, his father and grandpapa would be the major obstacles. They were protective of their business and for a good reason. The Bertinelli's ran a tight ship and have prospered for it, raking in money, powerful alliances, and respect from all corners of Gotham, Metropolis, and parts of Italy where the original branch resided. He didn't know how they would react if they found out he was still cavorting with the enemy. Well, he had a good idea, but he preferred not to think about it.

Oh Lord, then there was Leo to consider. He was the wild card. Some days he was supportive of the questionable things he acted on; the other days, he would lock him in his room and barricade the windows to keep him 'safe'. What on God's green earth would he do if he found out?

"You are thinking too much. Cease this instant. It is distracting."

Vin exhaled heavily. At least he was getting better at hearing Damian's light footsteps over the irritating buzzing of fluorescent lights the school favored. "Yeah, yeah, pal. Kind of hard not to after the past few days."

"Tch. Do you have your half of the assignment?" The tan boy asked and reached into his bag, presumably to retrieve his piece.

"Yeah, got it here." Vin retrieved his binder and slid the finished illustration from the folder wedged between the pages to dissuade creases. He had decided to go with implied lines for his and was happy with the result. Vin wasn't too boastful of a person but had to admit that it was some of his best work. He laid it out on the desk and pressed the canvas' right side against the left side of Damian's artwork. They had roughly sketched out where the two edges would meet while he was at Wayne Manor so the pictures would line up neatly in the middle.

Damian hummed, "It turned out better than I previously assumed. I am pleased with the result."

"Me too, pal. This is an easy A+." Vin declared confidently. He often didn't put this much effort into schoolwork, so it was a good feeling to be so self-assured about their project's quality. "Hey," A wave of realization washed over him, and he turned to his friend(?). "The mountains. Is this why-" He stopped himself short, shook his head, and flapped his hand dismissively. "Ah, never mind."