Chapter Three

Harry and Hermione were sitting with their heads together, studying for their first classes in the morning. Harry though kept getting distracted by the glower aimed in their direction.

"What is his problem? One minute he's all over us, next minute you'd think we'd kicked his puppy. Is he bipolar or something? The last thing we need is a ginger version of Malfoy in our own house."

"Ron's eleven, Harry, and he thinks you still are too. This time last Sunday evening, you would have been sitting right beside him and just generally goofing off. He's also jealous. Not only are we getting out of Snape's class, Professor Dumbledore is going to teach us potions. We'll face a lot more jealous stares when that news gets out."

Harry had been delighted to hear that from Professor McGonagall today at his detention, he still had a worry though. "Do you think Gandalf's up to something?"

"Dumbledore always does things for a reason but I don't think it's something you need to worry about. While I'm trying not to give you a read on what I think about people, I know Dumbledore will be watching me too - purely to see what he can learn. Albus Dumbledore is the best hope we've got of pulling this off. At the moment, only he has the magical and political power to stand up to the ministry and Malfoy's malignant ministrations."

"At the moment?"

"You'll get there one day, that's why they moved to take you out early. We have time though, Harry, this is something else I don't want you worrying about."

"Meanwhile, you're gonna worry for the both of us. That's not fair to you. When can we start on these lessons so I can be told what you know? Then we can make the decisions between us."

"As soon as we get you up to speed with your coursework, then we can shift our focus. With you spending Christmas with me, we can even work on it then too."

"We haven't heard back from your parents about that yet…"

"Harry, we will be staying together over Christmas. I'll miss the bloody train and stay here with you if that's what it takes. I'm sure my mum and dad will love me having a friend home for the holidays, hence why we're waiting until later to say you're my boyfriend. I think you are going to ask me on the train heading home for Christmas, I of course will say yes…"

"You look as if butter wouldn't melt in your mouth, yet I knew I was in trouble the moment I walked out of the uni bar with you. Harry, I said to myself, this lady is going to steal your heart. I didn't know then it already belonged to you."

"Mister 'I've got no lines' Potter, that was beautiful." A peck on the lips just seemed to increase the ferocity of Ron's glare, though neither of them was complaining now.

"Last night Ron mentioned something about a giant three-headed dog that's hidden in the school. He seemed to think this was something we should investigate, I told him no bloody chance. He also seemed to think this was something you knew about, claiming both you and Neville were there when we found it."

"Yes it is something I know about and I agree totally with you, there's no bloody chance of us going anywhere near it."

"Eh, he also said you thought getting expelled was worse than being killed. Did you really say that?"

Though blushing, Hermione was smiling too. "Not one of my better moments. Then again you two used to drive me nuts. I was obsessed with learning and thought all figures of authority were perfect. The ministry railroading you finally cured me of that last one, and I think I've got a better handle on the first."

"Have you got a handle on what we're going to do to stop me being railroaded again? I'm not asking for any specifics here, more a general idea to tide me over until I can be told what you know."