Chapter 4 - The Waiting Game

The warm morning sunlight slipped through a space between my dark-purple bedroom curtains and heated my eyelids. I opened my eyes and looked at the light coming in through the window. It was around 6am if the sun was that low on the horizon. I glanced over at my clock. Yes, it was 6:04.

I groaned and rolled over onto my side and stared at the ceiling. Did yesterday really happen? Did Elvis actually come to my school and make an appearance? Why? And out of the clear blue?

His smile lingered in my mind, and his blue eyes. He was such a handsome guy, more handsome than any guy I had seen in person or on the screen. Those luscious lips of his that created his adorable smiles kissed my cheek.

I squealed girlishly. I knew he was just being nice, but that sent shivers through me. Sarah said that he had feelings for me, but I doubted it. Only God knew how many girls Elvis had kissed on the cheek since he became famous.

My eyes fluttered closed, and I saw his image in my mind's eye. Even though I met him in an unfavorable way, I still met him, and I got to see for myself that he was a good person. What girl wouldn't be crazy about a handsome guy with great hair, a great voice and a good heart?

No girl at all.

"Evalyn?!"

My heart jolted at my mother calling my name. My bedroom door suddenly burst open. In came my mother who was basically the older version of me—face, hair, body type and everything. She held a newspaper in her hands.

"Oh, good, you're awake," she gushed and sat on the edge of my bed.

"Good morning to you, too, Mom," I said as I sat up, and I knew my curly hair was a mess. I yawned.

"You have to see this," she said and opened the paper and folded it over. "There's an article about Elvis talking about you!"

I suddenly became fully awake. "What?!"

"Look." She leaned in, and I saw an article titled in bold, black letters in a side headline Elvis Wants To Again Meet Girl Who Knocked Him Down. "I made the connection. I knew there was that incident when someone pushed you into Elvis. He's talking about you, here."

I read through the article, and it said that in an interview he had with the CEO of CBS News who was here in LA yesterday, and stated that the girl who knocked him down didn't do it on purpose, and that he went to go and talk to this girl after she was yelled at by his manager...

"He wants to meet me again!" I hollered once I read that.

"In the same spot he met you in, and before he leaves for LA. A shame, though, that he doesn't state exactly when, but he says where."

I stared at the paper, not believing that this was possible. "I... how...?"

"That star is nuts about you, Evalyn."

I shook my head. "No. He was just being nice. I was a mess, and he came and to see if I was okay—I told you about that."

"But he held you and kissed you on the cheek. Your father didn't do that with me until we were going steady for a week."

In the article, there was a picture of Elvis looking as handsome as ever, smirking in his way. Mom had a point, and maybe Sarah did as well. "Mom... he's a star, and I'm..." I trailed off. "He wouldn't be interested in me. He probably wants to meet me again to see if I'm okay. That's just the kind, good-hearted person that he is."

"Or he wants to see you because he's crazy about you. You're beautiful, inside and out, Evalyn. If he's the nice guy you say he is, he saw that and couldn't resist."