Chapter 3: High on The Roof

The stack is finally graded, and Dr. Duke ended class by giving the students a 3-page paper which all of them audibly groaned about in response. On my way out, Peter starts to jog up to me waving his hands to catch my attention. I pretend not to see him putting my head down and continuing to walk out the door. A hand grips my shoulder the moment my feet pass through the exit. Resisting the urge to ignore him further, I turn around and Peter is beaming behind me.

"Where are you off to?" He asks with a smile on his face.

"I don't really think that's your business," I say with a touch of playfulness in my voice.

"Sorry, I just haven't made many friends since..." He pauses. "Since I started school here." He speaks with worry in his voice. I'm not sure he'll be into what I'm meeting Gwen and Harry to do, but he is broke and looks like he hasn't slept in ages so maybe I should be a little nicer to him.

"Okay. Have you ever smoked before?" I ask smirking at him.

"Smoked?" His eyes widen in confusion. Well, that answers my question.

"Like weed...marijuana...dope."

His face goes beet red. "N-no... have you?"

"That's what I am off to do with my friends. You can join if you want. No pressure." My voice comes out endearing although I could care less if he decides to join or not. My phone vibrates in my pocket while Peter stands in front of me pondering over what I just said.

You still coming? -Harry

She has to. She needs to tell me what happened this morning. – Gwen

"I'll do it!" Peter's voice squeaks.

"What?" I say out of surprise.

"I'll come with you." He can barely hold eye contact with me. Just by the way his eyes can't stay in one spot tells me he's nervous and I'm going to regret this. I nod my head at him and begin to walk in the direction of the smoking spot.

Bringing someone with me. -Rose

Who? – Harry

This guy named Peter. Explain later. – Rose

Gwen, Harry, and I have met at the same spot every Wednesday since our freshman year. It is odd to be friends with people whose families could buy my entire apartment complex, but they aren't much like their families and have always been great friends to me. Harry and Gwen were high school sweethearts until the blip when life got rocky for everyone, and they decided they were better off friends. We've all been through a lot so no one can judge us for enjoying a blunt or two. Gwen is the one who introduced me to Kendra our second semester. I need to get around to thanking her for that.

The red bricked building where our smoke spot starts coming into view down the street. Peter has not relaxed and honestly looks possibly more nervous than he did ten minutes ago. He keeps playing with his fingers while speaking about nonsense that I've been tuning out. As we approach the stairs to go to the roof, Peter gets a solemn look on his face and stops walking.

"What's up?" I ask impatiently.

"It's nothing. This just reminds me of something." He sounds sad and far away as he speaks. There's a small tug at my heart when a tear drops down his cheek.