01. extra sweet

CHAPTER ONE • ICED LATTE

You wrapped your coat tighter around yourself. Although it was only autumn, temperatures were dropping and you were pretty sensitive to the cold.

You heard your phone ringing and fished it out of your pocket. Seeing Kokomi's name pop on your screen, you accepted the call.

"Hey Kokomi, what's up?"

"Cal, I heard what happened."

This wasn't looking good.

"Who told you?"

"Itto mentioned it yesterday. Please take the day off. You can't work with a sprained ankle."

"Of course I can, Kokomi. I'm more than okay!"

"When was the last time you got a good night's sleep, Callista?"

You didn't answer that question.

"Gosh, Cal! Do you want me to come back to Inazuma to take care of you? I know you have bills to pay and you're struggling with finances but please take care of yourself!"

You had taken on three jobs in order to pay the (very) overdue bills. As a result of this, you were suffering from a major deprivation of sleep.

"Okay, I'm heading to my café job right now. I'll call-"

Your phone fell to the ground as a wave of dizziness hit you, causing you to grab onto a nearby pole to stabilise yourself.

These waves had been happening more frequently, ever since you started the night shift job at a fast food restaurant.

"Cal? Are you there?"

"Yeah, sorry. Just dropped my phone."

"Okay, stay safe. Love you."

"Love you too, bye."

You hung up the call and walked towards the café.

This was by far your longest lasting job, it was relaxing and you could even make a cup of coffee for yourself when your boss, Diluc, wasn't looking.

He was known as a hostile and disagreeable man, but as long as you stayed out of trouble, he wouldn't bother you much.

Entering the café, you threw your apron on and got ready for a whole day of work.

"Morning, Callista," your coworker, Kazuha, greeted.

"Good morning, Kazuha."

"Did something happen to your ankle?" he asked, giving it a glance.

"Oh, I sprained it while I was running home from work," you replied. He seemed to have more questions, but decided to keep them to himself.

The bell that was hung by the door sounded and a blond lady entered the café.

Her hair was tied up and she was wearing an orange sweater. Amber eyes met yours across the café. It was undeniable how good looking she was.

She walked over the counter, a smile already present on her face. "Hello, I'd like an iced latte. Extra sweet, please."

"Coming right up, please take a seat and we'll serve your order soon," you replied.

Customers always paid when you served them their drink, it was a change Diluc decided to implement about a month ago. It was pretty different from what most cafés did.

Another round of dizziness hit you. This time, it was accompanied by its best friend, nausea.

"Cal, you good?" Kazuha asked.

"Yeah, I just need the restroom."

"No problem, I'll take over for you."

Heading into the washroom, you splashed cold water onto your face, hoping that whatever was going on in your body would just go away. You uttered a silent prayer that it wasn't something terminal like cancer.

When you came back, Kazuha was already done with the iced latte.

"I'll serve it," you told him.

"Are you sure? You don't look well."

"I'm fine, Kaz. Nothing to worry about."

You held the iced latte in your right hand as you looked around for the customer, eventually spotting her in a secluded corner of the café, reading a book.

With each step you took, your body felt lighter and lighter, almost as if you were floating.

Until you actually were. Not actually floating, but falling onto the ground head first.

You passed out.

⠀⠀♡⠀