2.

His eyes were lit with something I couldn't quite determine as I am not used to the art of flirtation. On second thought why on earth would Alexander want to flirt with me.

"It's wonderful to see you snow white. I have to say those pink buttons on your cheeks are so adorable." Alex smirked at me and I cast my burning face down.

My God! He is just a boy I used to know. He used to call me snow white since I am so very pale. I used to chase after him whenever he called me by that. What was a taunt sounded more of an endearment right now.

"What's with that name Alex. Call her properly as Ms.Dashwood. You truly are the naughtiest boy" said Bella hitting Alex with her fan.
Even though she sounded angry the love for her brother was written on Bella's face .They share a strong bond. I couldn't tell Bella a secret when we were young, without Alex knowing it.

Alex threw back his head laughing ,which sent ripples of pleasure down my spine. I knew he has a habit of closing his eyes while laughing but the rumble I just heard was not there in the boy.
There was pure mirth in his sparkling eyes, they were so bright with little stars winking at me. I am not exaggerating when I say, I can see the night sky reflected in his eyes.  I thought the boy was born to taunt me, but the man is so magnetic that I won't be able to hold him responsible for anything.

Alex pretended to be serious ,bowed to me and said" Pardon my shabby manners Miss Dashwood. I hope you would understand that I have been away from genteel ladies for far too long."

His pouty lips distracted me for more than a good few seconds that I in truth was staring at him in front of everyone. It was only Alex. What does it matter that he has turned out to be the most handsome man she had ever seen. It's stupid to be so affected by a younger man.

"There is no need to apologize Alexander. We know each other since we were kids. I am just surprised at how you've changed. You look so…."I was at a loss for words. How do I describe him without sounding like an infatuated schoolgirl?

"You mean to say that I have grown up." Alex said supporting me.

"He used to look like a puff ball as a boy. What's with his chubby cheeks and loud annoying mouth. I feared he'll never change" Bella said laughing at his brother.

"If my memory is accurate, Esme thought I was adorable as a boy .That she tried to pinch my cheeks every chance she get." Alex was staring in to my eyes as if he could see right through me. I blushed even more than before and totally forgot about the crowd around us.

"Stop that Alex. You are just being so full of yourself. And I have to leave ,mom must be looking for me. There are more guests appearing. Alex, please…..behave." Bella advised as if Alex was still a boy.

For all her intimidations towards Alex, Bella and her family were proud of his carrier. Alex certainty made a formidable figure in his uniform.
Despite the casualties piling up due to the war… the Armantos never doubted Alex's ability to return home with medal after medal to bring his family honour and pride.

But Adrian never returned. My brother abandoned me for nothing. I almost hated him for that. I was starting feel sick……..

A hand touched my shoulder, my eyes snapped to catch his eyes looking thoughtfully at me.

"Are you alright my dear" I cast my eyes down to lose his focus on me.
"You look a bit shaken. Left alone with the annoying boy I fear." Despite my nausea Alex made me laugh.

"I'm sorry . It's not you it's me….I have abject dislike towards social gatherings. But you don't have to accompany me. It's your party…have fun. There are a lot of beautiful young women here tonight."

Alex took me by my hand and directed us towards the pillars at the edge.

"I'm sorry for your loss Esme. I wasn't here when Adrian died…... I wish I was. I know how close you were with your brother. He was a kind soul."

"You don't have to be sorry Alex.  I was thankful for your letter" My eyes drifted on their own towards his. He was covering me from the rest of the crowd.
Then he took a step closer to me.

"You just called me Alex. Just like you used to back when we were kids."
He looked amused and something more was shinning in his eyes. Was he teasing me?

There was nothing to be excited about conversing with an old friend. But I was nervous and a bit shaking.

"Oh..it just slipped past ma…. my tongue" why was I stammering ?.

"I'm not teasing you Esme. It made me really happy to know  you were coming today .You look wonderful in that dress."

I think my hair must be red from all the blushing i've been doing today.

"Can we talk about something other than me"

"Of course what do you want to talk about" Alex said leaning back on a pillar looking all confident and graceful. He crossed his arms which highlighted his powerful muscles.

"You" I blurted before thinking. His warm open laugh made me aware of nerve endings that pulsed and warmth spread through my body. My mouth suddenly went dry.

"Yes, what do you like to know?" He looked casual yet so irresistible. His voice resonated over the loud noises of the chippery crowd.
He made it sound like he would willing give away anything I ask for. The man was born for flirtation and I was not strong enough to withstand him.