CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE:"THE DATE FROM HELL"

CHAPTER ONE:
"THE DATE FROM HELL"

DESPITE HAVING A DISTINCT FAITH SHOVED DOWN HER THROAT HER ENTRE LIFE, Cecilia Aplin wasn't sure where she stood with her beliefs. But as she reluctantly sat in a booth at The Redding Shack, staring ahead at her date– Keith Canavan– who was obnoxiously munching on cheetos and babbling on and on about some movie, she was certain of one thing. This was undoubtedly her Hell– or, at the very least, her purgatory.

That was the only explanation for why her uncle, better known as Father Corleone by the people of Hawkins, forced her attendance here. Surely, it had to be some form of punishment– perhaps she hadn't met his expectations and failed at being the perfect Child of God. Maybe going to bible study, maintaining all A's, hosting charity events for the church, and praying three times a day wasn't enough.

Maybe she wasn't enough.

And maybe... just maybe... that was why her Uncle Corleone sat across from her at dinner a few nights prior, sporting a rather sadistic smile for a priest, while informing her that he planned to set her up with Keith Canavan of all people!

"He'd make a fine husband for you one day," he had said.

I'd rather eat glass than spend a minute in that cheeto muncher's presence, Cecilia wanted to snap back.

Instead, she bit her tongue so hard that she drew blood. "I'm sure he would, Uncle Corleone," she mumbled defeatedly, stuffing her face with a spoonful of mashed potatoes in an attempt to rid herself of the metallic taste that lingered.

Corleone followed with listing reason after reason why Keith-fucking-Canavan was the man for her and whilst he did so, Cecilia swallowed her feelings of rage down with the mediocre food spread out on her plate. How else was a girl supposed to keep her sanity?

"He's not a delinquent–"

Wow, the bare minimum. "Well, that's a relief to hear."

"He has an honest job–"

Of being a pain in the ass, sure. "That's wonderful."

"His virtue is still intact–"

Not by his own choice, I bet. "Jesus would be so proud."

"And most importantly, he believes in God–"

He probably said that just to score a date. "It almost sounds too good to be true."

And now here Cecilia was; stuck in the company of the one person she dreaded being around while contemplating what she'd done so sinful to deserve being placed in such an unbearable predicament. (Because seriously, was she a colonizer in a past life or something?)

She hadn't even realized she spaced out until Keith snapped his fingers in her face, prompting the cheeto dust on them to flick into her eye. "Earth to Cecilia!" he shouted, only causing the annoyance in her chest to burn brighter.