Chapter 11: Square One

"Today, we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hardworking, intricately fair minded; and most importantly, a fierce fierce friend."

The Great Hall was bare and grim the morning after the Third Task of the Triwizard Tournament. No more decorations were hanging from the ceilings or pasted on the walls, no lively music was being played by the bands, and no happy chatters and laughter could be heard from the audience. The students and staff of Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang were grieving over the passing of Cedric Diggory, and in shock and disbelief at who was claimed to have murdered him.

Dumbledore stood up from his chair, walking down the steps to come closer to the crowd. He eyed them carefully as he uttered his next words.

"Now, I think, therefore, you have the right
to know exactly how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

There it was. Jessica glanced at Bethany and Alista who stood next to her, both of them looking just as uneasy as she felt. Rumors about how Cedric died spread like wildfire the night before already, and yet, hearing the truth come right out of Dumbledore's mouth felt real. It was like he had confirmed all their greatest fears, and it only amplified those fears. And although Jessica believed in what Harry witnessed and what Dumbledore was now sharing, she couldn't help but still feel speechless and want to deny everything. How could He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named even be back? Wasn't he supposed to have died the night he tried to kill the Potters? Did he return on his own? If not, who helped him? So many questions raced in Jessica's mind, and undoubtedly, in that of the rest of the student body.

"The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this," Dumbledore went on. "But not to do so, I think, would be an insult to his memory. Now, the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, reminds us, that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one."

Jessica didn't even realize until a tear slid down her cheek that she was crying. While Cedric had not been her family, significant other, or best friend, how could she not mourn his loss? He was still a friendly face she spoke to many times, a schoolmate she bumped into frequently, and a fellow prefect she patrolled with. More than that, he was simply a good person, one who did not deserve such a sudden and mysterious death when he should have won the Triwizard Tournament. He deserved to live a long life where he could use all his talents and abilities in the Wizarding World, which she genuinely believed he could have changed for the better, even if it was by a small bit only.

Everyone around her had become emotional, too. If someone wasn't crying, they were holding back tears. Even those who didn't know Cedric felt tugs at their heartstrings and pangs throughout their entire being as they processed that an innocent student had been murdered during what was supposed to be a friendly competition.

"In light of recent events, the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever."

At that, Alista grasped both Jessica's and Bethany's hands for comfort.

"Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain... you remember that, and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end," Dumbledore said with conviction.

The students and staff inside the hall dispersed right after the assembly for Cedric Diggory concluded. The mood was solemn as people spoke in hushed tones about their fallen classmate and the revelation that Voldemort was back.

Aside from wanting to get away from the heavy atmosphere in the Great Hall, it was also Jessica's last day ever at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. And so, she and her friends opted to take their final stroll through the castle and the grounds.