4. lovers rock

a/n: robin and nancy are dating and prom is right around the corner. robin is sad that the two of them won't be able to go there as a couple, so nancy comes up with an idea...
this is basically just pure fluff!! it's a bit longer (3000 words) than the usual because...why not? anyway, i hope you enjoy <3 

There were lots of differences between Robin Buckley and most of the other girls her age.
Robin's lack of romantic attraction towards men, for an instance.
And while she normally didn't care much about it, in the past few weeks, the girl had been confronted with those differences a lot more frequently than usual.

All of that, only for one single event the whole school was looking forward to: Prom. 

While everyone else was out buying dressed and planning dates, Robin wasn't able to participate in it.
She was used to being left out because she had been her entire life. But this situation was different than the others.

Robin never put a high value on things like the yearly prom.
She wasn't into wearing tight dressed and, well, dancing men. So prom had never been it.
Until this year.

Because this year there was Nancy Wheeler.
The most beautiful, without a doubt smartest, and bravest girl Robin had ever known.
Nancy, who had impressed her from the first day on and who also happened to be her girlfriend.
Robin still could not quite believe how someone like her, Nancy fucking Wheeler, could ever be interested in someone like herself.
She was awkward, didn't have the slightest grasp on social clues, and was not necessarily the kind of person girls her age would enjoy hanging out with, or at least, that's what Robin thought of herself. 

Yet somehow Nancy did like her. She loved her and being with her was incredible.

Robin loved her just as much and if she could, she'd tell the whole world how much she truly did. 
Unfortunately, doing such a thing was simply impossible.
Robin knew that best, after spending her whole life keeping her own little secret.

Nancy was still figuring herself out, she hadn't been aware of her attraction to girls until Robin came into her life and it took her some time to come to terms with that -to even realize it, in the first place.

Still, the two of them spent as much time together as they possibly could.
Sneaking out of the store Robin worked in to kiss behind the building, leaving the town to sit in Nancy's car in the middle of nowhere just to watch the stars, having stolen moments between the lines that nobody would ever know of.

It was in one of those moments when Robin had a confession to make.

The two girls were laying in Nancy's bed, Robin's head resting in the space between Nancy's jaw and her shoulder, while the brunette had her arms wrapped around her.
They had been in this position for hours, just to enjoy the other's company, almost drifting off to sleep in the other's arms from time to time.
Nancy was playing with a strand of Robin's lighter hair, wrapping it around her index over and over when Robin suddenly raised her voice.

"Nance?"
"Hm?" she stopped looking at the hair between her fingers and was looking down at her girlfriend instead.

"Have you ever- you know- actually liked going to prom?" she mumbled.

This wasn't the first time she brought up this topic. Nancy knew how much the prom celebration annoyed Robin so she was surprised to hear this question from her.

"Well, yes, I have. But we agreed on not going this year, didn't we? I know how you feel about this whole prom thing, and I really don't want to pressure you!"
Robin cleared her throat.

She knew what she had told Nancy about her feelings toward prom.
So how was she supposed to explain the things going on in her head now?