{ 15 }

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

"They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it.

For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.

Death cannot kill what never dies."

― William Penn

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

{Age 79}

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

"Seungmin,

It seems that I may be coming to you soon, my love.

I've contracted pneumonia and it isn't getting better, but I'm ready to go. I've been ready for a long time.

I have been moved to the hospice ward and they will come to remove my breathing apparatus soon at my request.

I yearn to rejoin my friends and my family more than anything else.

Despite everything that has happened, I've lived a good life. I've never strayed from you, but I've been an uncle and great uncle to many children. I've come to love and see them as my very own, and I'm so proud to have seen them grow and start their own families. I've never been lonely, aside from missing my greater half.

My art has been very popular and has provided me with enough monetary fulfillment to live comfortably. I'm happy to have been able to live alone until I came here, enjoying the garden that your father planted so long ago and painting when I can.

There have been many, many hard times, but I know that you've been here in some way to support me through them all. I'm an old man now, and I would've never made it to this stage without you, my friends and our families. I'm so eager to see you all again.

The nurse is here now to remove my tube. I'm very tired, so I think that I'll take a nap as I wait.

See you soon, Minnie.

Thankful to finally be reunited,
Hyunjin"

"Okay, Mr. Hwang. You understand what will happen after I remove this. Our chaplain has come to speak to you, correct?" The hospice nurse questioned as she helped him set his notebook aside onto his bedside table.

"Yes, ma'am. I'm ready," he uttered in response, voice gruff with long-term illness and old age. The woman nodded and began the process of removing the various pieces of the mechanical ventilation unit. Following its removal, he signed one last consent form before he was left alone with the gentle classical music he'd requested.

The old man rolled onto his side with some effort so that he could observe what sat beside his bed; his notebook, reading glasses, a glass of water, a faded plush puppy, and a small vase of familiar blue flowers. He retrieved the plush and placed it under his arm, giving it a light squeeze. It certainly wasn't pristine, but he tried his best to keep it in the best condition that he could over the last several decades.

Hyunjin returned to his back and fished the chain around his neck out of his gown. The duo's rose-gold bands dangled from the delicate metal, providing comfort throughout his life after his knuckles had grown too large through arthritis to wear it. His mouth quirked upward upon seeing them. He then closed his eyes and relaxed with the plush still in his arms.

As Hyunjin's breathing became more laboured, his concentration remained elsewhere as his mind seemingly replayed many major points in his life.

All in all, he had come to peace with everything and tried his best to achieve happiness in life; with the help of many others (that he was eternally grateful to), he felt that he had.

Hyunjin was gradually lulled into the tranquility of his final sleep, a slight smile on his lips.

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈