Part Twelve - It's Go Time

I glance up as the Tomahawks soar overhead, making their way to attack the enemy's airstrip. "Daggers, assume attack formation," Maverick instructs as he pulls ahead to create space. I pull in just behind him, being sure to leave a comfortable following distance. Rooster carefully nestles his way behind my jet in front of Payback's. "Daggers set, proceeding to target," Maverick announces once we've successfully assembled in formation.

"Two minutes and thirty seconds in three, two, one. Mark." Maverick starts his time.

"Three mark," I say as I start the timer. The green numbers stare back at me intimidatingly.

"Two mark," Rooster says, starting his.

"Four mark," Payback follows in tow.

"Let's do this," I mutter, entering the valley. To my surprise, these turns we follow seem to be much easier since I can follow them with my eyes alone, rather than having to switch between my own vision and the nav system. Being sure not to get too cock just yet, I let out a long breath and continue on course.

"First SAM site overhead," Maverick states. I look through the glass canopy and see four SAM missiles dauntingly propped up on a launch stand at the top of the mountain. 

"Looks like we're clear on radar, Mav" I say.

"Let's not take it for granted," he returns.

I switch my radio to our internal jet frequency and ask, "you ok back there, Bobby?" 

"Don't worry about me, I'm ok," he responds. I make note of how much control he has since gained over his previously quavering voice. 

After returning to our mission frequency, Fanboy is in the middle of announcing his sightings, "four more SAMS, three o'clock high!" Once again, another set of SAMS are perched on the mountain. I pray they don't fire.

"We got two minutes to target," Bob says roughly. Since the last time he spoke, the intensity of the turns have since increased, causing him to be thrown around against the sides of his seat.

"Thirty seconds to Tomahawk impact on enemy airstrip," tower says.

"Daggers, Command Chief. We're picking up two bogeys." My heart drops a bit. Now we have to worry about potential enemy aircraft spotting us.

"Command Chief, watch their heading," I say. She responds with the location of the aircrafts.

"They're headed away from us. They don't know we're here," Rooster says encouragingly.

"The second those Tomahawks hit the airbase, those bandits are going to move to defend the target. We have to get there before they do. Increase speed." Maverick's plane takes off ahead of me.

"Got you, Mav. Don't wait for me," I say as I push the throttle forward, trying to keep up.

"Daggers Two and Four are behind schedule. Time to target, one minute twenty seconds," tower announces.

"Tomahawks have impact. Enemy airfield is destroyed," another voice at tower says.

"Bandits are switching course to defend target," Command Chief adds. In the course of ten seconds, so much news has just been unloaded.

"Rooster, where are you?" Maverick asks, concern clear in his tone.

The radio stays silent.

"Come on, Rooster, we have got to make up time! Let's turn and burn," Payback tries to get Rooster's attention.

As we round another corner, a bridge appears. "What the shit?" I exclaim at the unexpected surprise.

Ahead of me, Maverick banks completely sideways and makes it between the bridges' pillars.