~chapter one~

September 1st was a day of excitement for many witches and wizards. If you were 11 years old then you would be starting your first year at Hogwarts School Of Witchcraft and Wizardry, which meant you could meet new people and make new friends that would end up lasting a lifetime. Children aged 12-16 were excited to go back to the school that they considered a second home to most of them. Excited to go back to see their friends.

Although September 1st could also be a day of sadness. Parents were sad to see their children leave for a few months with letters as their only form of communication. Seventh years were sad to go back for their final year.

For Lana Reeves however, there was many mixed feelings. She loved Hogwarts. She couldn't deny that it was an amazing place. But when you quite literally have one friend in the giant castle, it was hard to be excited to be there.

On the other hand, going to Hogwarts meant she didn't have to be at home with her mothers new boyfriend. Lewis wasn't a bad guy, he was quite nice actually. But when you spent your entire childhood knowing the same man as your father only have him suddenly replaced by some random person, it was quite hard to be around him.

Lana sat inside one of the compartments on the train. She watched as all the familys made a fuss of their children. Lana wished that her mum could've been there to drop her off at the station, but being the owner to a cafe meant that she didn't get to drop off Lana. She loved her mum, so she didn't mind that she wasn't there.

"Padfoot give me back my glasses!" A voice shouted down the corridor of the train. It was the unrecognisable voice of one James Potter. Most likely chasing after Sirius Black. Everyone knew who James Potter and Sirius Black was. The Potters and Blacks were part of the Sacred 28 pureblood families.

Lana didn't know much about the Sacred 28 families. She did however know that to keep their bloodlines 'pure', they participated in incest. She was 98% sure that Sirius Blacks parents were cousins. The Potters were labelled as 'blood-traitors' because of their association with muggles and muggleborns.

Mugglesborns like Lana herself.

Seconds later, loud fast stomping neared her compartment and then two figures ran past the small window. A slower, bigger figure walked past just after them. Probably Peter Pettigrew following them. As he walked past her compartment, he looked inside and gave Lana a small smile. She awkwardly gave him a smile back .

The pair worked on a Transfiguration essay one year. She was pretty sure that he was terrified of her during all that time.

Most of the students were terrified of Lana. She wore dark heavy eyeliner and never smiled. Her ears and nose were filled with peircings. Her outfits outside of the Hogwarts uniform consisted of short skirts, revealing tops and heeled boots. She was the type of person who parents would see on the street, pull their children across the road and murmur to them to not end up like that.

It also didn't help that her crippling social anxiety made her not be able to talk to people. Her awkwardness was often mistaken for rudeness and they got annoyed with her 'attitude'. They were usually shocked when they found out she was in Hufflepuff.

Soon the clock turned 11am and the train left Platform 9 3/4 and made its way towards Hogsmeade Station. Groups of friends walked past her compartment, trying to find their own.

Lana often envied those with big groups of friends. She envied those girls who got that cute little teenage romance that she read about in the hospital waiting rooms. She hated her inability to communicate with others. 'How different would things be if she had more than one friend?' was the question that was always on her mind.

She was often plagued by the question 'what if?'

What if the mashed potatoes during the first feast of year had run out? Would she still have met Felix?