30 | coup de grâce

THE HUMAN MIND IS THE GREATEST PARADOX. The poets would agree on that statement. It is a common knowledge that it uses itself to understand itself. The mind is both one's weapon and shield yet at the same time a token of vulnerability.

It could deceive and be deceived; influence and be influenced. It could be the hope of others and the despair of some. It could bring peace or commence war. It could unite or dissever society. Bring justice or cause inequity. It could create heaven and hell; heaven of hell, hell of heaven.

Thus, the power of the mind is and should be greatly feared.

Y/n knew this fact well. And is currently having a problem of her own. After arriving back at Japan, she felt like an entire different person, and she didn't know if that was a good thing. The young teen was overjoyed when she had finally got the taste of victory after seeing the person she had longed to see be helpless on the floor, utterly defeated.

"Well done, L/n." She remembered hearing the Russian accented voice of her mentor say those words while picking himself up, limping, and mopping the blood off his face. His face was smeared with his own blood and sweat, his nose became crooked, lips swollen and wounded, after receiving her attacks multiple times.

The moment they reached the HPSC establishment, Y/n, in a heartbeat, requested a one on one sparring match with her trainer. Once they entered the ring, Y/n did not hold back. Too intrigued by her own strength, too hungry for victory, and too enthused by the idea of defeating Ivan.

"You won this match." Y/n stared at his outstretched hand in a congratulatory manner, with a sinking feeling in her stomach.

Despite of his injuries and his defeat, Ivan was able to stand as though this was merely one of their regular training sessions. Y/n felt discontented and disheartened. However, shook his hand with a smile, masking her disappointment and longing to finish him until he couldn't even stretch a muscle and pretend that he was proud of his student.

Unsatisfied and silently enraged by the outcome, Y/n requested another match but with her female mentor: Dottie.

"I'm sorry, Y/n. But you must go and rest now. The president will give you a call for a further discussion about your part of the agreement." The instructress said, much to Y/n's disappointment.

Hence, she was forced to drink down her thirst for victory over them and laze around her given room in the commission's building aggrieved and buried in her own thoughts and notions.

Her whimsical mind traveled from various activities she could currently do for her entertainment and alas ended up reminiscing her memories which had led her to discover a curious problem. Looking back at all the experiences that she had, it all seemed unreal, as if those were only scenes of movies she had watched. It made her heart stutter.

Her reminiscences had set her in a moment of introspection. She had been too preoccupied by the labor needed to achieve her goal that she had failed to see the morality of her own actions. And so far, Y/n thought her actions were all justifiable.

Y/n couldn't shake the disturbing feeling of detachment from the previous chapters of her life.

There was this restlessness that tempted her to find more about the serum even if it meant breaking into the commission's files. Y/n felt dissatisfied with the information they gave her and wanted to know more. She had questions piling up her head. And it was, by no means, a mystery that Y/n absolutely loathed being confused or knowing less.

Rising to her feet, Y/n took out her tech-glasses and turned on the computer. She sat on a chair, facing the screen and stretched out her arms and fingers in preparation for a long hour typing.