Memories

Never in my life have I EVER felt more relaxed. Not after eating my favourite strawberries in the summertime, not while reading my favourite book, not while in my bed binging Netflix. This is the most relaxing thing in the entire world. Or, my world at least.

It's a warm spring afternoon, blue skies stretching far across the land, not a cloud in sight, and Evie and I are on the top of the most pretty hill in all of the Isle. It used to be all broken and dirty, this is the Isle, after all, but last week the Royal Court finally got around to cleaning it. Removing the dangerous swords, cleaning up the leftover shipment crates and broken fishing lines and rubble, and even using magic to summon some beautiful tall grass, some nature, some flowers and some extra sun. Auradon doesn't typically do this, even after the barrier came down they have typically chosen to leave the Isle and all of its belongings alone. But this spot is special, and it deserved to be given new life. And it turned out so perfect.

Evie and I decided to visit it for the first time today. And it's just us. And it's so beautiful. She's leaning against a tall treetop, and I'm laid across her chest. My girlfriends' arms hold me safe and sound against her, and I'm draped in between her legs, which are almost covered in the soft, tall grass beneath us. My sketchbook grasped in my hand, I'm gently running my pencil across the pages, drawing something extra special. I want to surprise her with it later, but it's nowhere close to being able to make out what it is yet, so she's allowed to watch me construct the beginning for now. She hums softly in my ear as I work, making me smile wide. She didn't bring anything to do, but I can tell that's OK with her. Her entertainment is simply cuddling me, and I don't mind a bit.

A light breeze blows through the air, brushing the tall grass up against our thighs. I'm not bothered, I barely bat an eyelash, but unlike me my princess is ticklish, and I hear her adorable squeal from behind me when the grass blades stroke her legs.

I laugh at her. "You're so cute," I say, a wide grin on my face.

"Thank you, mi amor," She tells me happily, and I can't help but blush.

I don't let myself do that with anyone else, our friends, family, acquaintances, never. I refuse to show any sorts of vulnerability, affection or emotion for anybody unless it's anger or fierceness. Except for with Evie. I always seem to completely melt into her love, no matter who's watching or where we are. And it shows even more when we're alone, the smiles, the blushes and giddy giggles I hide from everybody else come out to play then, she can pry them out of me with even just a simple trace of my cheek or a swing of our intertwined hands in the kitchen. But I HAVE made it clear to her that no one else is allowed to know about that part. I don't know how she does it, but I'm like putty in her fingertips.

In this moment, she brushes her nose up against my cheek, demanding my attention. And so I turn my head to the side and kiss her lips gently. We smile at each other when we pull away, and after a few moments we both giggle shyly, which only widens my grin. I'm still in awe of how we've been dating for almost three years but we've somehow never gotten over the honeymoon phase. It still feels like we're lustful, giggly teenagers who can't get over how madly in love with each other we are. She tells me.

"I love you."

"Love you too," I smile. I put my pencil and paper down for a moment to close my eyes and lay back on her chest properly.

She holds me close, safe, and sways me back and forth ever so slightly. It's as if she's protecting me from the world and all its dangers, as if she wants me all to herself and nothing will stand in her way.

"Evie?"

"Hmm?"

"You're so beautiful. And smart and sweet, I can't believe you're mine," I tell her, my tone soft as anything.