Chapter V

Luna felt something press against her side. Then something rubbed against her fingertips gently, over and over again.

Her eyes opened gently, the natural light almosting blinding her before her eyes adjusted. The first thing she saw was orange, and not a nice, pastel orange. An ugly, brownish orange. The orange tarp stretched above her head, close enough for her to reach out and grab it if she wanted. She didn't want to sit up, her body feeling as if it weighed a gazillion pounds. The little girl mustered the strength to at least lift her hands, rubbing her eyes and her head gently. A headache pounded in her head, and something burned in her throat, as if she swallowed burning lava.

Something yipped, and before Luna could say anything, a wet tongue frantically lapped against her face. She grabbed whatever was licking her with both hands, and found herself staring straight into the golden eyes of the black wolf.

Her heart soared.

"Hey buddy." She said to the wolf, and immediately regretted it as the wolf began licking her face again. Her throat was on fire, feeling sore and rough as she breathed. Luna coughed loudly, having difficulties breathing, which also didn't help her throat.

The wolf sensed something was wrong, and whined softly. Luna's gaze landed on the baby wolf's leg, which had been bandaged and wrapped carefully, and the energy in the pup made the girl assume he wasn't in any pain. It was good to know he was doing well. If she could find some water, she'd be better as well.

Luna coughed once more, debating in her head if she would have the strength to stand up and get out of what she assumed was a tent. A tent where? Her memories were fuzzy, but didn't include a tent. Even when the event's of the past night hit her, she still couldn't remember anyone taking her from the river banks. But someone must have, because there she was, dry and alive.

She turned over on her stomach, groaning softly as her body ached. The unnamed wolf yipped softly, sticking his nose out of the tent, as to say 'Hurry up human! I wanna explore.' The bright sunlight made the twelve year old's head hurt, but she crawled softly towards it, sticking her head out of the tent. Her cuts and bruises on her legs had been tended to, but they still hurt, especially the burns she got from the falling tree in the river.

"You're up." A man's voice sounded, making Luna snap her sore neck to face the person addressing her. She could see more small tents, identical in color, lined out for about 100 yards. Smoke gently flew in the air, little fire pits every fourth tent. Outside the tent, Luna could hear different voices, all male, having many different conversations. What was this place? she asked to herself, drawing a complete blank.

The man facing her had to be twenty, at least. He had a very young figure, and kind, brown eyes. His dirty blonde hair hadn't been cut in a while, falling in locks about shoulder length. He was sitting at the entrance of the tent next to the one Luna was in, messing with the hilt of a sword. The man smiled at the twelve year old as Luna pulled her body outside, sitting criss-cross in the green grass of a plain. "How do you feel?" He asked, eyeing the baby wolf that came to his mistress' side.

Luna coughed, shaking her head slightly. She didn't want to talk, worried her throat would hurt if she tried. The man took this as a no, reaching behind him to grab a vile of some liquid. Luna didn't know if she was supposed to accept the drink from the stranger, but when he offered it, saying it was medicine, the little girl took a tiny sip. Her throat instantly cooled, as if ice was slowly coating her burned throat.

"What is this?" She took one last sip of the vile, her voice still being somewhat raspy. At least now it didn't hurt to speak or breathe as much.

The man took it back, a satisfied smile on his face. "It's a healing remedy I bought from a wizard caravan a while ago. Helps with sores and burns. Thought it would help." He put his sword away, and faced the little girl. He was wearing a golden and purple uniform, his elbow resting on a metal helmet. "Feel better?"