𝟒𝟑. ✭ 𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐒 ✭

"So, let me just... just go over this plan again." Torey's voice is much calmer sounding than I would've expected after being told what we just had, directly from Dani, no less. Any other time I would have expected him to take the laptop and launch it across the room. "Okay, so if I'd heard you correctly, Dani, you said you want us," he points between him and myself, "to let you go through with marrying him." He points to Tristan. "You want us to be okay... with... that." Torey's face contorts into the most ridiculously extra mask of sarcastic understanding while nodding and saying, "riiiiiight. Mhmm. Yeah that's, uhh, not going over real well with me." The look on his face mixed with the tone of his voice makes me want to bust out a laugh, but I don't. I can't help the subtle twitch of my lips though.

"We wouldn't actually be getting married, Torey, it would only be a distraction," Tristan interjects, which has that derisiveness wiping right off of Torey.

"Was I fucking talking to you?" My gaze slips over to the actual man himself instead of the miniature screen version. He looks even more pissed in person and I know if we were having this conversation face to face with them I'd probably have to hold Torey back. His impulsiveness knows no bounds and that's not even including the fact that he already wants to murder him.

Tristan's features take on an arrogant mask that I am all too familiar with the man next to me wearing as he says, "you know, for someone who was awfully good at deceiving people for a really long time, you seem not to have the faintest idea of the concept of deception in this situation." He tops his statement off with a sardonic grin.

Ah, shit.

"I swear to God I will fucking rip your head off with my bare fucking hands when I see you. I will fucking—" My hand immediately flies to Torey's forearm and holds it down before he can do anything to damage the screen in front of us. He throws me an irritated glare. When I let go he points to Tristan again growling, "watch yourself." I knew the moment Torey's actual name slipped from that man's mouth that I'd have to thwart off a nuclear explosion.

Tristan looks like he wants to roll his eyes. I send a silent thank you to God when he doesn't. "As Daniela has told you, the wedding is the only way we'll be able to get her and Wolf out of the compound at the same time. Dedaj would never allow it otherwise." He looks away from us and picks something off his suit jacket, it reminds me of the ones Torey always wore when we'd first met. With his gaze still averted he adds, "the wedding is how we're able to all get out of this situation, probably our only chance. That's it. There's nothing romantic about it." The way his Adam's apple is now bobbing would suggest his sentiments are otherwise. When I shift my gaze to Dani's an uneasiness rolls in the pit of my stomach because I can see it; see she feels the same. "It's a good plan. Malyssa is a very smart and capable woman. I trust her instincts. You should too." There's a noise in the background which has Tristan quickly ending the call.

"I can't stand that prick." Torey slams the laptop shut before getting up and heading over to the bar. "He says there's nothing romantic about it and that may be but you can see it all over his face that he wants to fuck Dani. He wants her." I don't think Torey knows exactly how spot-on he is and I am not going to tell him. He hadn't seen them together in the woods like I had, hadn't seen Tristan's arms wrapped around Dani affectionately.

Torey fills his tumbler with two knuckles worth of vodka and does the same to another with whiskey. He sets the whiskey down in front of me before sitting across from where I'm seated at the kitchen table. "You know, Brooks, I hate the fact that you're just so blasé about everything. It's like nothing ever fucking effects you."

"I am not blasé about everything and things do effect me, Torey. I am just not as outwardly volatile and hostile as you are," I snap at him. "I know how to control myself unlike some people because I'm a mature fucking adult."