Prologue

"Don't blame me, love made me crazy,
If it doesn't, you ain't doin' it right"
— Don't Blame Me, Taylor Swift

He fell to the ground with a loud thud. Blood splattered all over the ground. He was dead, there's no doubt about it. Zi han was dead. The girl across the room stood frozen. She dropped the hand of a younger girl, a few seconds passed and the younger girl started crying. Estelle was twelve at that time, Jules was eleven. Even though there was only a one year age gap, Jules wasn't as mature as Estelle.

Ai Hua rushed to the scene and stood there, unmoving, her expression darkened. "Ke Ying?" Estelle looked at her mother. "Yes?" She answered with a shaky voice. "Did you see what happened?" Estelle let out a shaky breath and nodded. "Black smoke?" She nodded again. This time it was Ai Hua who nodded. "I'm going to say this once, and you need to do whatever I ask you to." Estelle hesitated and nodded. "I need you to go upstairs and pack the necessities. Do it quickly." Jules wiped her tears as she spoked, "what about ba ba?" Ai Hua looked at the lifeless body of her husband. "I'll take care of him. Now go, hurry up please." 

Estelle pulled Jules upstairs and started packing. "What do you think will happen...? To ba ba. To us?" Jules sniffed between words. Estelle looked up at her for a second, "I don't know. We shouldn't think too much." Jules looked like they were on the brisk of crying again so Estelle pulled them in for a hug and soothed her hair, "But, nothing will happen to you. Don't worry. It'll be okay." Jules gave her a light smile. Estelle knew it wouldn't be OK. It might be fine for now but a few years later everything will go down. 

"Māmā, where are we going?" Estelle asked once she had finished packing. "My homeland," her mother replied. Estelle and Jules did not know much about their mother's life, let alone their father's. Their father was a human and their mother was a witch. It was hard to believe that witches existed in the human world, the world they were in. In the human world, it's the twenty-first century but in Ai Hua's homeland, Yelia, It's the twentieth. Everything was changing. Estelle knew she couldn't handle this. Everything was a blur on the way to the Portal of Yelia. It's hidden beneath all the trees in a huge forest. Almost impossible to find, even if you found it, you'll need special excess to awaken the portal.

"Ready?" Ai Hua asked. Jules shook her head. Ai Hua bent down to Jules's eye level and whispered, "It'll all be OK." Jules smiled, "that's what Esme said." Ai Hua smiled back then glanced at Estelle but Estelle was too distracted to notice. Her head was filled with questions. Does Ai Hua even care about Zi Han? If so, why is she acting like nothing happened? "Ke Ying, you'll go first," Ai Hua cleared her throat. Estelle snapped out of her thoughts and fidgeted with her hand. She nodded as she walked towards the portal but Jules held her back. Jules asked, "can't we all go together?" Estelle shook her head and said, "no, but once you've reached, I'll be there waiting for you." Jules nodded slightly and let go of Estelle's wrist.

Estelle turned towards her mother and asked the questions she's been holding back, "Māmā, do you even care about bàba?" Ai Hua opened her mouth to speak but no words could get out. Estelle didn't bother waiting for a reply, she stepped into the portal.

Of course, Ai Hua cared about Zi Han. She gave up everything to be with him, to live with him in the human world. She gave her family up and now she's going back to them.