- Custard's Interlude - (Pt 1)

The pink-haired cookie laughed loudly," Good question! I'll tell you if you can catch me!" Custard, who had been watching curiously from behind healer cookie was then approached by the other who reach and lightly pat him on the side of his arm, jumping away into a sprint right after. They yelled back, "TAG! You're it, HA HA!"

Custard stood and watched as the strange pink-haired cookie ran away and the others screamed at them to stop. Catch...them? Did they want to play! The little king hadn't played with another cookie since they left on this adventure. And personally, he thought that was much too long.

He began to run after them when he felt a firm grip on his arm holding him back.

"Where do you think you're going, kid?"

Custard looked up at Chili Pepper Cookie, a pout on his face.

"I just wanna go after them! They said catch me, remember? They just wanna play!"

"No offense little man, but you are absolutely not following that kid. They may look harmless but you never know."

"B-but-!"

"No arguing on this Custard it isn't safe. We have to stay as a group, and this place is dangerous anyway we don't want you going alone."

He looked down in disappointment as Chili let go of his hand. She motioned him to follow back with the rest of the group who had already gone up further ahead. He begrudgingly followed, but a plan began to bloom in his head.

And so a smile slipped onto his face, a decision made in his mind. The little group trekked and eventually, as the sun began to sink in the sky, they set up camp. A firepit was set up in the middle and the sleeping bags were settled around it in a circle. After eating, the group went to bed for the night.

Custard quickly went to his and tucked himself under the covers as Chili Pepper Cookie eyed him suspiciously, he usually would have been more persistent instead of giving up so easily about things. Chili was about to question him but heard her name.

Gingerbrave waved her over to him and Healer Cookie obviously wanting to talk. With one last glance at Custard, she sighed and walked toward the duo deciding she would just drop it for now.

It took what felt like hours for all the cookies to finally get into bed and sleep, Custard waited an extra few minutes just in case. He pushed the covers down just below his eyes, peeking out at the others. He watched the slow rise and fall of the Chili's chest, who he was most worried about catching him. She always looked out for him even with the playful jabs she made, but right now he could take care of himself and he knew only he was capable of this job.

A very important job. Playing with the pink-haired cookie.

He shimmied out of his bag and slowly sat up trying as hard as he could not to ruffle it too much. Pulling his legs out of the bag, he stood and slowly tip-toed to where his shoes, cane, crown, and cape lay on the ground awaiting him.

Bending down, he grabbed the cape, settling it around his shoulders, connected the clasp on the front, and flicked up the large collar. He stepped into the shoes, strapping them, and grabbed the crown to fit it perfectly in the dent it had created over the years in his hair. Finally snatching the cane, he walked carefully out of the camp without even so much as a glance back.

He walked further down the path the strange cookie had gone. He believed it likely went to the Vanilla Kingdom, which Custard had to admit, he was extremely excited to see. He took each step in confidence towards his destination, wherever that was, until he heard a strange creaking noise. He stopped, crouching down slightly to look behind him and around.