Chapter 1

A pale pink, translucent jellyfish floated over to my side, and I hesitantly reached out and touched the top of its head. It stayed there, gently pulsing, as I pulled my hand away and looked around. Nothing much had changed since the last time I had been here. I wasn't surprised. This was the very bottom of the ocean, the deepest place on the earth's surface. Merfolk called it the Depths. The pressure here would crush a normal mermaid, but I was fine. It probably had something to do with the magic.

I had been instructed not to use magic yet. My parents didn't want me to mess something up. All of my other siblings were allowed to use it, but not me. Not that it mattered. Being the youngest, I didn't have any of the responsibilities they had. I was usually able to keep myself interested without magic. I had friends and a whole room to myself.

And there was, of course, my prized possession: a piano, not grand, but still a piano. It was an upright, made of enchanted polished wood that wouldn't rot in the water. It was the only magical thing my parents had given me, and it was also the best thing they had given me. It was located near the entrance of the little cave that served as our back porch. I would sit there and play for hours, and merfolk from all over would come and listen. It made me feel good. After all, I didn't have a real role in society like my parents did, or like my siblings were destined to have. I liked that although I wasn't all that important, I still had a positive effect on people.

And then there were the Depths.

They fascinated me. Here was the best place to be alone, because I knew no one could bother me. No door for parents or siblings to come knocking on. No porch for merfolk to come ask us questions. I could be alone for as long as my heart desired. I could be down there forever if I wanted.

The variety of life in the Depths was amazing. It wasn't barren like most people thought it was. There were jellyfish and other little blobby creatures, and plankton, and millions of other tiny things. And the best part: nearly everything glowed.

It wasn't dark if you went down far enough. Of course, if you just stood on the cliff and looked down, you couldn't see anything. But if you actually swam down into the Depths, it was like you were surrounded by billions of stars in every direction. It was the best feeling in the world.

* * *

My lungs burned. Every muscle in my body ached to be released from this torture. I peered through the blowing snow and saw that nearly everyone was yards ahead of me. Wrangling in the last of my strength, I pushed forward on the never-ending trek up the mountain.

I knew I couldn't make it much longer. But what choice did I have?

"You're going to have to pick up the pace," a teasing voice said from my left. I didn't even have to look to know that it was Jamie. Not that I would be able to see him anyway, the way this snowstorm was going.

"Shut up," I mumbled, knowing that I should be conserving my energy for walking, but unable to let him get away with it.

He laughed, unbothered.

"Town!" The person in front of me shouted. Whenever someone saw a town, we would stop and everyone would pass the message down the line. Whoever was in front of me always had to shout.

I sighed and nearly collapsed into the snow. "Remember that I'm not a native Horakian. My genetics weren't designed for mountain-climbing."

"You'd think you'd be used to it by now," Jamie replied cheerfully.

"At least I'm better than I was at first."

"You're right. You used to take about five steps and then flop on your face in the snow."