This Story Won't Have Serious Titles I'm Done With Those

"Please, please, one at a time!" you shouted over the reporters many, many questions. You were standing outside of the Smithsonian, home to the many, many artifacts that you had discovered over the years. You had donated them all in the hopes that they would preserve them for generations to come.

"Miss-" A reporter started.
"Doctor." you corrected.

"Miss L/N." the reporter continued.

Of course. You thought to yourself.

"You have been going at this for years now, isn't it about time that you settle down, start a family, and raise the next generation of explorers?" The man asked.

"I believe that I still have some kick in me-" you started, you were only thirty-five.

"But haven't you explored enough? You've traveled all around the world, there's nowhere else to go!" the man interrupted you.

"And that's why Mr. Jameson, I am going to venture down where no mortal has ever gone before."

"And what is that Miss L/N?" Mr. Jameson asked, his mustache twitching.

"I am going to explore the ocean, and I am going to find the lost city of R'lyeh, and then the lost city of Atlantis!" you announced.

"...But will that prevent you from having children?" a reporter called out, you deflated.

"I don't see how that has to do with my career-" you started.

"You're already old, what will happen to the next generation of explorers?"

"Ok, we're not getting anywhere... As usual." you sighed as you left the pedestal. That was all anyone ever talked about, it didn't matter to them that you were one of the first women to obtain a doctorate, or that you had discovered more artifacts than any of those pompous "adventurers" who always found a way to steal your thunder, the only thing that mattered to the world was whether you were going to get married, settle down, have a stupid family... You didn't want any of that, you wanted to discover new phenomena from history, you wanted to meet new cultures, learn their language and ways of life, you wanted to discover new species of creatures... You wanted to explore the Ocean and find the lost city of R'Lyeh. That's what you've been building up to, right? All of the artifacts you've found have all led back to R'Lyeh, you're so close...

"I told you the interviews are pointless." you snapped as you got into the car, your brother, Peter sighed.

"I could have sworn that I blacklisted Jameson." He muttered.

"Well, obviously you didn't... Did you get the address?" you asked.

"To the insane doctor? Yeah, I did. He said to just come in and he'll meet you... Are you sure you want to do this Y/N? I'm going to be out of town for the next year and-"
"Pete, I can take care of myself. You have your life, and I have mine. Tell Mary Jane I said hi." You pat him on the back as the car slowed to a stop, Peter sighed.

"Be careful, ok?" he asked.

"I'm always careful," you assured him.

"No, Gwen was always careful-" Peter started.

"Well Gwen's not here, is she?" you snapped.

Peter looked at you, and you sighed.

"I'm sorry... I know it's been ten years but I-I still see her face, everywhere I go." you stammered.

"I know... I'm sorry for bringing her up. I love you Y/N." he squeezed your hand.

"I love you too Pete. Don't worry about me, I've been preparing for this expedition my whole life." you squeezed his hand back as you got out of the car, you waved as the car drove off. You sighed as you turned around and entered the building.