Prologue

Prologue

“Inside of this egg lays a Growlithe,” She said. “Now, I know fire-types aren’t your favorite, but please keep this little guy safe. For me?”

I looked into my sister’s hopeful blue eyes. They were begging me to take the egg, begging me to stay safe while she was away. Slowly, I obliged. I reached out and carefully took the egg from her. It had felt so light, so fragile. I knew that I had to protect this Pokemon with my whole being. When it hatched, I knew it would do the same for me. From this moment on, we would be one.

“I’ll miss you, Zaira. Stay safe. I’ll come visit you, of course. Just wait, some day I will be the champion!” Her smile grew wide. Unconsciously, she fingered the single Pokeball at her belt. This was one of her many habits that I knew. This particular habit was one that she showed when she was excited with a bit of nervousness.

She was fourteen, she should have started her journey four years ago. However, due to my health, she stayed back to take care of me. I was now ten, old enough to start my own journey, but Mom wouldn’t let me.

As I watched my sister grab her backpack and walk out of the door, I clutched the egg closer to my chest. My sister was leaving. My sister that had watched over me from the very beginning; who had been there for me whenever I needed her; who was my most important person. She was leaving.

Something moist fell down my cheek, and it took me a few moments to realise that I was crying. Not only that, but I was now without my beloved sister.