Part 1: VI

Cities, in Vivec's very humble opinion, were one of Tamriel's chief pleasures. Oh, certainly, there was beauty in the harshness of the coast, and in the tranquility of the grazelands. Even the ashlands were awe-inspiring in their near inhospitability. But cities were where people were, in the full spectrum of lived experience. Old, young, rich, poor, Nord, Chimer–it was a cacophony of joy and tragedy and victory and despair and just life .

With all that in consideration, cities were terrible places to come in and plan a revolution. Even with the anonymity a big city like Hofstaag afforded, a group of strangers drew attention, especially groups of strangers who could be caught sneaking around, having clandestine discussions . And that was even without accounting for the fact that Hofstaag was a Nord city.

So, after much deliberation, the best idea would be to split up during their time in the city. Oh, they'd meet, certainly, but staying anywhere and moving as a group was out of the question. Alandro had contacts in the city, at least, so he was set up. A sympathetic Hlaalu family had offered safe lodgings for Voryn and Nerevar–as well as a well-planned escape if need be. As for Vivec and Sil, there was nothing suspicious about two mer of their age traveling about and staying at the local inn.

"We're just here long enough to meet with others who want to join," Nerevar assured the two of them the night before they went into town; they were entering in a staggered manner, to avoid any further suspicion. "At most, we'll be here a week. Keep your heads low, and only talk to House mer." He looked between them, light eyes very serious. "And don't get separated."

"Alas, there go my plans of launching a career as a skald ," Vivec said with mock disappointment. Nerevar's face pinched, and he waved his hand. "We'll be fine, Neht. We'll go about the town like any two young men hungry for dictator-approved adventure."

Nerevar's attention turned to Sil. "And you, Seht? I understand this could be frightening."

"I'm not frightened." Like always, his words were frank and his face unreadable. It certainly wasn't an assertion of a boy trying to be brave; then again, sneaking into a city was probably a great deal less frightening than having your home destroyed by a Prince. But Nerevar didn't push, didn't even offer a 'It's okay to be scared'. He simply nodded, clapping his hands on Sil's thin shoulders.

"The innkeeper's on our side. I'll send communication of what I need you to do. Azura guide you both and keep you safe."

There was the briefest shadow that crossed Sil's face, but it was gone in a moment. Nerves, probably. Regardless, he was placid as anything as they made their final preparations to enter enemy territory.

It had been a very, very good thing that Sil had chosen to stay with them, because this was certainly not the kind of city to drop a young orphan mer in. Yes, there were Chimer in the city, but either at the very, very top echelon–House mer that had no doubt done something terribly questionable and likely against all Velothi customs to give them that sort of protection–or hiding away in the shadows of alleys, with glinting knives and desperate faces. But the majority of the people around them were Nords, and their looks alone were enough to say that the two of them weren't welcome there. ( N'wah , would be the term Vehk would use to describe how the Nords saw them. But that wasn't in their vocabulary, was it? He'd have to see if there was a Nordic equivalent.)

Vehk, having been in this situation plenty of times over the past several years, kept his guard up, arm pressed firmly against Sil's as they walked toward the inn. Eventually, he chanced a glance over at the young mer beside him, ready to assure him that things were all right and he'd keep him safe.

To his great surprise, Sil wasn't remotely uncomfortable. His pale eyes were darting this way and that, never settling anywhere for very long, and his brows were drawn together thoughtfully. He was studying, Vivec realized, looking over the people and buildings like he did Dwemeri cogs and gears. His eyes locked on one Nord sitting on a porch, with a badly-fitted wooden leg, just a bit too long, and right as she started to come toward them, Vivec quickly slung his arm over Sil's shoulders.