The Choice

"Steve, do you want to talk about it," she asks him.

They are currently laying in bed. Her head is on his chest and he's lightly running his fingers up and down her back. They've lain in bed like this every non-mission night since they both confessed their feelings seven years ago while on the run.

"Talk about what, sweetheart," Steve asks.

"Whatever is on your mind. I know the past few weeks have been crazy and painful between getting the stones, losing Nat, losing the compound, getting everyone else back, fighting Thanos, and losing Tony. But I feel like there's something else going on. You can tell me anything," she replies.

"I know.  I love you so much," Steve says.

He kisses her passionately. Soon their clothes are shed and they make love. As she drifts off to sleep, she can't help but think something big is coming their way.

The next morning, she wakes up and Steve is gone. His side of the bed is neatly made. She gets up, makes her side of the bed, and heads for the shower.  As she leaves the shower, the scent of bacon hits her nose.  She smiles knowing Steve is making them breakfast before they have to head to the compound.  She tries not to think about the fact that her boyfriend is embarking on a major time travel adventure to return the stones they just retrieved a few weeks ago.  She gets dressed quickly and heads downstairs.

Steve looks up when he hears her come down the stairs.  She is wearing a cream colored long sleeved henley, dark jeans, brown knee high boots, and brown leather jacket.  He feels a pang in his gut when he sees the smile she gives him.  He remembers her asking him if there was something he wanted to talk about.  He doesn't want to tell her because he doesn't want to hurt her but keeping this from her may be hurting her more.  He waits until he hands her a plate with bacon, eggs, and toast before he speaks.

"I saw Peggy when I went to get the stones," he says.

She swallows the food in her mouth and sits there in silence for a few seconds before saying, "Oh."

"It was when I went with Tony to Camp Lehigh and you went back with Lang and the sceptre," he continues.

"How was she," she asks.

"I didn't talk to her.  I just saw her from a distance.  She looked good.  I mean she looked like she was doing well," he stammers. 

She puts her hand on Steve to calm him.  However, inside she was a mess of emotions.  She knows Peggy is the love of Steve's life. He's always done a good job of not making her feel like she is a consolation prize.
However, this was before time travel. He has had weeks to tell her about seeing Peggy but hasn't. She wishes Nat was here so she can talk to her about this.

"I wasn't keeping this from you on purpose. I planned on telling you as soon as we got back but Nat was dead," he explains.

"I understand. It's been crazy since we went back in time," she replies as she takes another bite of her eggs so she has an excuse not to talk.

"I love you," he tells her.

"I love you too," she replies.

They finish eating their breakfast in silence. Once they are done eating, she does the dishes while Steve finishes getting ready.

An hour later they arrive at the compound. As they are getting out of the car, her phone rings. She looks and sees it's Pepper.

"I'll meet you over there in a few," she tells him.

He gives her a quick kiss before walking to Bucky. She talks to Pepper for a couple of minutes before she walks over to Steve and Bucky. Bruce and Sam are by the platform checking everything over. As she gets closer to Steve, his words stop her in her tracks.

"...then after I return the last stone, I'm heading back to the 40's," Steve says.

"Are you sure this is what you want to do," Bucky asks.

She doesn't stay to hear anything else. She turns and walks back to the car to compose herself. She can't believe Steve is leaving her.  Her mind is still racing when she hears Steve call her name. She takes a deep breath and puts what she hopes is a calm face before turning to face him.

"We're about ready to go," he tells her.

She joins Steve and Bucky. Bucky gives her a look she takes as pity. She looks away. Steve gives her a soft kiss before grabbing the case with the stones and Mjölnir.  Before he can climb on the platform, she grabs his arm. He turns to look at her.

"I love you. I know I should tell you to go be happy with Peggy but ...," she pleads. "Stay. Don't go back and live with Peggy. I know our relationship hasn't been normal but it's been great. Choose me. Please."

She has tears in her eyes while she is talking.

"There's no choice for me," he replies.

"Oh," she says and turns to walk away.

"There's no choice for me because you're the only one for me. I love you. Only you," he tells her.

"But you said you saw Peggy. Then you told Bucky you were going back to the 40's," she says confused.

"I did see Peggy. I saw Peggy happy and living her own life. I thought seeing her would make me feel like I missed out on something but I didn't. I have everything I need and more with you. I'm so in love with you I can barely see straight," he bares his heart to her.

"But what about going back to the 40's," she asks.

"I'm going back to the day after I went to Camp Lehigh in 1943 so I can retrieve my mother's engagement ring. My plan was to propose to you when I got back," he answers.

She looks at Steve in shock. Bucky just chuckles. Steve walks up to the platform and activates his suit.

"Yes! The answer's yes," she shouts to him.

Sam and Bruce look at the couple confused. They didn't hear their earlier exchange.

"You're supposed to wait until I ask the question before answering," he smiles.

She looks over at Bucky who is trying hard not to laugh. Then to Bruce and Sam who are slowly picking up what's happening. Finally she looks back at Steve with a huge smile on her face.

"When have you known me to do anything I'm supposed to," she laughs.

"Never," he laughs back.

"I love you, Steve. Be safe," she says.

Steve gives her another smile before he is hurtled through time and space.