Chapter 9: River Adventure

WHEN IT WAS still midday on the second day of surviving the primeval world, Hikari and the rest of the group were promenading to the dense forest as they were on a rescue mission to save the underground idol from a flock of Pteranodons on a mysterious mountain. Ai was using a map with the island's possible geography, tracking their destination. Traveling through the trees across the forest, they soon stopped as they were reach close to the mountain at their distance at a good view.

Ai: "We're getting close, you guys. Just about 30 miles away from here. If we follow the river's trail down there, then maybe it'll lead us to the mountains."

The whole group climbed down a small cliff as carefully as they could. As they reached the ground, they hear strange deep rhythmic sounds surrounding the forest.

Ai: "I have to admit. That was... quite a speech you gave there. I'm proud of you."

Hikari: "Thanks. Most of them were my dad's. All that stuff he used to say back then."

Ai: "Your dad?"

Hikari: "Yeah. Before he was gone."

Ai: "Ohh..."

Ai sympathized for Hikari. She thought about her own grandfather who had passed away while she was younger. But her thoughts were interrupted when she heard something in front of them. It was an low growling sound but they weren't sure what it is. Then they realized that it came from a large theropod dinosaur, but what's different about this creature is perhaps it's long, narrow snout filled with teeth that were shaped similarly to a crocodile and it had large claws about 31 cm long. A real difference from the blade-shaped teeth of typical flesh-eating dinosaurs. A 32 ft. tall theropod that lived in the Barremian stage of the Early Cretaceous period, about 130–125 million years ago.

 tall theropod that lived in the Barremian stage of the Early Cretaceous period, about 130–125 million years ago

Ayumi: "...What is that thing?..."

Ichiro: "Is that the uh... Suchomimus?"

Hikari shook his head in disagreement.

Hikari: "I thinks it's a Baryonyx... slightly larger than a Carnotaurus, but a terrestrial and aquatic carnivore."

Ai: "Really. I thought it was gonna be like the other lizard with the big spine on its back."

The dinosaur was leaning up against a tree, sleeping with its eyes shut. The group quickly hid behind a wide tree. Hikari peeked cautiously around the tree. He reacted with a slight gasp and his eyes were wide open as he and the others witnessed the member of the spinosaur clan. Bary snorted and the buzzing flies around its face flew off when it shook its head while it was still sleeping.

Chitose: "We need to find a way to travel on the river."

Mirei: "And you expect us to swim all the way from here to there, getting all our clothes soaked and wet?"

Kai: "Maybe we don't. Look there."

Beyond this sleeping land shark was a small concrete bunker-type building with a dock extending out into a river. A pumping station. Next to it, is a tin shed with a sign that says "Boat Storage." A good use for finding some equipments.