CHAPTER 4

Beck followed her home in his wolf form. He had to make sure she got home okay. He knew he couldn't let her out of his sights after this. Not until she was claimed, and they could communicate. Using the coverage of the trees, he followed her to the South side of town where she wound through backroads until finally pulling up to a dark little rambler. Feeling a little stalker-like, he bellied down in the underbrush and watched his mate slip from the truck and walk up the drive. She fumbled with the keys for a minute before she pushed in and switched on the lights. He took one last longing glance at her before the door shut and his view was interrupted.

For a while, he waited there, listening to her bumble about the house. All of the drapes were pulled so he couldn't see in. But just hearing her was enough. Deep inside of him, he craved her. He had never wanted anything as badly as he wanted her. She was his

The Luna shined bright above, hanging in the midnight black sky amongst the stars. Her glow cast down on him, and for once in his life he was so grateful for her. Beck sent a quick, silent prayer to her. She had truly gifted him with this female.

In his head, he replayed their interaction, first focusing on her. She was so beautiful. Her short, wavy dark hair curling at her shoulders. Her lips, full, raspberry red, and kissable, always seeming to be in a permanent pout. Her skin was tanned, freckles dotting across her sloped nose. And her eyes, strikingly brown, deep and rich as chestnuts. She was much shorter than his massive stature, but he guessed she must have been around five six. He wanted his hands on her again. He wanted to ask her about the bruise on her forehead.

Beck latched onto her spirit too, one that had heat course straight through him. She was fiery as all hell, and he welcomed the challenge. He couldn't recall the last time someone had spoken to him as she did. The Alpha male knew that she would certainly keep him on his toes for the rest of his life.

Despite it all, there was something wrong. He recognized the scent of a wolf a mile away and had tracked her to the bridge. Yet, she didn't know she was a wolf? Nothing was adding up. But he had scented her truth in the air, the authenticity behind her confusion. She wasn't messing with him, she wasn't in danger. So, what happened? Beck hoped he would get more answers tomorrow, and maybe give her some too.

After another twenty minutes, he supposed it was time to go back. There was a tingling of fear in the back of his mind, leaving his pack alone for too long. And now, of course he was worried about leaving her too. Beck decided he would set up a patrol schedule for her, just to make sure someone had sights on her. He couldn't take any risks, not after Thadal. It was just too easy to lose the people you loved.

The run back to the packland didn't take too long, even though every step away from her hurt. When he arrived at his backdoor, he shifted and changed into a spare set of clothes he kept in a bin by the door. For once, his cabin was empty. Amira, Kristin, and Carter went home when he left after dinner. He was suddenly grateful for his sliver of silence to end his evening. He wasn't quite ready to share his experience with his family.

Inside, Beck drank a glass of water and retired to his bedroom to lay down. He could still smell her spicy scent on his skin. She smelled like oranges and cinnamon, a mouthwatering combination that he inhaled over and over until his head spun. When he closed his eyes, he could still feel the warmth of her against his skin. For a moment, he let himself slip into this peace and quiet. It was a beautiful silence, watching the movie of her inside his head as he breathed in her scent. He couldn't wait for her to be in his arms.

Beck wanted to know everything about her. He wanted to know her passions and fears. He wanted to know what made her happy and what made her sad. He wanted the little things like her favorite color or song. But he also wanted the big things, like what her life was like and what had happened to her.