Part 1

Arkham, Massachusetts. 1932.

"Okay, guys, that's it for today, don't forget to read chapters seventeen and eighteen for the next class' experiment."

You watch as the students gather their things and start to leave the amphitheater at a slow pace.

As you put your notebooks and papers inside your bag, a few students approach you to ask some questions about the course and the future exams.

You answer them as best as you can, still getting used to this new routine of being a professor. But you were lecturing only one course this semester, so you're managing.

It's been almost ten years now since you started dedicating your life to the university. Miskatonic University is your home and you made a family there.

When you graduated in Chemistry, Professor Lehnsherr was the one who tutored you in your final paper. After that, Professor Stark helped you with your master's degree and Professor Xavier provided you with all the help he could during your doctorate. You owed a lot to these men.

Earlier this year you were looking forward to starting the post-doctoral program with Professor Munroe, but budget problems limited the available vacancies and you didn't get it.

However, you and the Professor got along very well, and the woman recommended you to start working as a Professor at the University, which you gladly accepted.

And so here you are, teaching at the university you held so close to your heart and working unofficially on your Ph.D. with one of the best scientists in the country.

You walk to your office, humming to a random song you heard on the radio earlier, and eventually greetings students and colleagues.

As soon as you get there and put your stuff on the table, the phone rings.

"Hello?" You ask, the phone wires swinging close to your hand. "Good afternoon, I'm looking for Professor Y/l/n."

"That would be me." You reply as you sit on your chair, frowning as you don't recognize the voice.

"Hello, Professor, I'm doctor Helen Cho, calling from the Hospital St. Mary." The woman introduces herself, and you immediately furrow your brows in concern. "Hi, doctor Cho, how can I be of assistance?"

"One of my patients, Howard Stark, asked me to call you," the doctor informs impassively, "he is end-stage with cancer and it's his wish to see you again."

You close your eyes shut. Of all the Professors you've ever had, Howard was unquestionably your favorite one. The man was more than just your mentor, he was your friend.

"Sure, doctor, of course." You answer, trying not to sound affected by it all, "when can I come?"

"Mr. Stark requested you to come tomorrow at one in the afternoon, is that possible?" She asks, and you promptly start looking for your appointment book. After checking your schedule, you answer: "yes, 1 pm tomorrow would be perfect."

After setting the details and saying your goodbyes, you end the phone call, the silence taking over your office at the same moment.

Leaning back in your chair, you sigh, the memories of the moments you shared with your former professor filling in your mind. You had no idea how you'd be able to face him so weak and ill, not when he was so alive and healthy in your mind. But you'd have to find a way.

-----

You make your way to the hospital reception desk with determined steps, despite the growing uncertainty within you.